Menu
cappy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All week I'm getting slow speeds on my 200mb Superhub

All week I've been getting slow speeds 40 - 50mbps on my usually reliable 200mbps Superhub. The router power levels look fine but I'm getting post RS errors sporadically too. I've checked service status and it says fine in my area. What's going on? It really affects gameplay and movie watching.

Speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6026058332

Downstream

https://gyazo.com/32cc24ffe61c8ed835cacff7bb4d2ab0

Upstream

https://gyazo.com/6152ae1cfd64b1dfec1f667491e508e3

0 Kudos
cappy
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: All week I'm getting slow speeds on my 200mb Superhub

Rebooted PC and router and it's even slower!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6026072439

0 Kudos
cappy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Bump. Still the same, tonight I'm barely getting 35mbps on a up to 200mbps service that was working fine just a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6030780313

0 Kudos
cappy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So I'm speaking to tech support in India and have, rebooted, reset router to factory settings, put router in modem mode and retested. I am now getting 9mbps !!!! download speed and the usual 12mbps upload. How can tech support actually make it worse than it was? I am now on hold while they discuss with the networking team. Soooo frustrating!!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6030867135

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

One hyphenated phrase will probably fully describe your problem, over-utilisation.

Put simply, VM want to continue to sign on more and more users, taking in lots of revenue, yet do not wish to spend any of that money to enable their networks to cope with the demand.  That is even though they are well aware that this will mean that customers will not get anywhere near what they pay for.

It's a little like a company selling you a train ticket and then the train being late and you still not getting a seat.  Oh wait, there appears to be a pattern emerging here doesn't there?. 

cappy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

For sure "over-utilisation" was the reason given by India tech support at the end of my call. This same reason has been given to me many times before when there is a speed issue which can't be immediately resolved. I was getting 9mbps in safe mode / modem mode on a 200mbps line with upload a respectable 12mbps. "Over-utilisation" is NOT a reason I can accept.

I called back and spoke to Richard in the UK. He read the notes on my account, checked and confirmed that there was no "over-utilisation" issue currently affecting my area. He wanted to book an engineer but needed to check with tech support first and put me on hold. Unfortunately he must have pressed the wrong button because I was transferred to India tech support again.

So I explained my issues for the third time and after some double checking and more testing I was informed that there was maintenance work being carried out in my area which was affected my download speed and it would improve by the weekend. I asked to be put through to billing. Unfortunately, I was cut off. 2.5 hours on the phone and I still don't have an answer I can find acceptable but rest assured I will be billed the same when it comes to billing unless I call again in the hope I might speak to somebody that can help.

I've been with Virgin since inception and NTL before that. When it works the services are great but when it fails it's like pulling teeth out to get things fixed, get a believable answer or have a relevant discount applied due to loss of service. Unfortunately, in my area there is no comparable alternative for broadband so I can't switch.

0 Kudos
meliahouse
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same here, but with a difference, as it's only 2 weeks since I upgraded from my old 'Ambit' modem, which gave me rock solid speeds between 75 & 107 MB. I wasn't charged for the upgrade, but was charged £14.99 for delivery. This morning I received the "free upgrade" letter from Virgin, so promtly called them & informed them that paying £14.99 for delivery isn't 'free'. So, whilst also complaing about the erratic speeds, the very nice young fellah (who shall remain nameless) applied a £7.84 'discount' for 12 months, so some consolation at least :-)

greyman
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Now here's an idea for some consumer protection against unfair broadband providers.

How about they can only charge you for the performance you experience or, alternatively, to make it easier to administer, they are forced to give a proportionate credit to your account to balance off the following month's bill, if their performance was down. In other words, if you received only 1% of the advertised speeds, perhaps minus a reasonable amount of peak time degradation , you would get a 99% discount the following month.  It might sound harsh, but if i ask for a dozen eggs in a shop and only get 1, i wouldn't expect to pay for a dozen now would i?

I suspect that if this was implemented, there might be a bit more rush to fix the issues and maybe a little less signing up of new users in the meantime.  Smiley Happy 

BigManA
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As brilliant as this sounds from a customers perspective, I don't think VM would do anything of the sort, I can see £'s going through the floor if they attempted such a thing. Too big of a problem needing far too much time to fix.

It's a shame really.

It took a year and five months for me to get my speeds back from over utilisation!
0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't thinking of it being optional, more of a law change from our beloved government, like I said, to protect consumers from unfair broadband providers.

0 Kudos