Menu
Skeledrummer
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Advertised speed?

Having just watched Watchdog about broadband speeds I tested ours. Apparently we're on Superfibre 70 but surely that means we should be getting far better than the 21.8Mbps download speed that the test reported. Upload was around 10Mbps. Is SuperFibre 70 just a name or should I be able to expect better speeds? I had a superhub installed about two months ago and the technician said we should get top speed.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advertised speed?

I deliberately didn't watch Watchdog tonight as it would only have made me cross. I'm sure their piece on broadband was top notch technically, they always are Smiley Wink

Kind of gave up on Watchdog after their "expose" on packets of crisps having "too much air in them" ......... you know to stop you getting crisp dust instead of whole (ish) crisps when you buy em? I dont know anything about crisps but I know THAT...anyway I digress...

How are you testing?  WiFi? Wired? What site are you using? Try a PC, wired connection using CAT5E or better to the HUB and run the test at Ookla.com with default servers. No other devices connected

That will give you what speed is being delivered (not what you will see IRL, that's a whole different kettle of fish)

0 Kudos
decemberzebra
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Was watching the same programme as well. 

Currently One month on Vivid 200. The issues I have ran into as follows

1. Hub 3 just wont give an ip address, second engineer said it's common on SE18

2. Got swap to Superhub 2ac, WHICH "just the same speed"

3. From then the highest speed in off peak time is only, drum rolling 77mbps download

4. Tonight, wow, amazingly 9mbps 

I deliberately chose virgin because of the broadband speed, and now one month on, all I get is things getting slower each week?!

Not sure there is a reply here, but I just dont understand how can I be mis-sold like that

I WANT MY MONEY BACK ! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

decemberzebra wrote:

Was watching the same programme as well. 

Currently One month on Vivid 200. The issues I have ran into as follows

1. Hub 3 just wont give an ip address, second engineer said it's common on SE18

2. Got swap to Superhub 2ac, WHICH "just the same speed"

3. From then the highest speed in off peak time is only, drum rolling 77mbps download

4. Tonight, wow, amazingly 9mbps 

I deliberately chose virgin because of the broadband speed, and now one month on, all I get is things getting slower each week?!

Not sure there is a reply here, but I just dont understand how can I be mis-sold like that

I WANT MY MONEY BACK ! 

AFAIK there is an open fault F003754389 for overutilisation in SE18. You would need staff to confirm if your particular line is affected (but its very likely), there is a mechanism in place where you can claim a service credit against an open fault. But basically, overutilisation faults take a long time to fix and you would be wise to look at other suppliers in the sort term.

0 Kudos