Menu
hammy434
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 53
Flag for a moderator

9 downstream channels?!

hey guys, recently got 300mb, but well it hasnt really been 300mb tbh. my friend asked me to check how many downstream channels i have, ive got 9, apparently that's odd, and i should have 12 or 16? so yea thought id post here and see if anyones able to help, thanks

EUKGzBr

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 34 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 9 downstream channels?!

I wish I'd got to this thread earlier - not that I'd be able to solve your speed problem in this instance.

1. Contrary to what others have said, I'm on a CISCO CMTS and have 16 DS channels.

2. In your network log, it helps if you keep the CMTS MAC address visible so we can verify the manufacturer

3. The technician cannot fix the 9 to 12 DS channels issue. I'm sure that @Adam_L knows this but as ever, the first step is to get the tech out to perform the first level checks which he has done. The number of channels you get is set by configuration made by script at the VM end, and this is what they should be looking at. BTW I had 9 channels when I first got the SH3 and a couple of months ago, reboot, new config file 16 DS channels.

With regard to the channel IDs, they can be anything as long as one channel is designated as the initial lock to do all the initial ranging upon reboot. My guess is that they shouldn't have sold you 300 meg if they can't give you 16 DS channels; the area isn't ready and they are eking out the segment's downstream capacity.

@Adam_L or @Forum_Team need to get back onto this case and report whether or not your node/segment is congested and, if not, what remedial action is being takemn.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 45 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi hammy434,

Really sorry that we've kept you waiting with this, though thanks to Seph for flagging it!

This is strange as your CMTS (Cisco) has 12 available downstreams. However, the bonding groups max out at 8 channels so I'm unsure whether this is a config file issue or if the bonding channels need to be amended.

Anyhow, I've escalated for networks to investigate, ref: F004551604 (fully noted on your account). I'll be in touch as soon as they get back to meSmiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 53
Flag for a moderator

That is odd.

It looks like you are missing a channel at 259Mhz, and posibbly two lower frequency channels. It may be a 12 channel MAC Domain running in partial service mode, but that is just a guess.(anything in the logs?)

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can provide an answer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 53
Flag for a moderator

hammy434 wrote:

hey guys, recently got 300mb, but well it hasnt really been 300mb tbh. my friend asked me to check how many downstream channels i have, ive got 9, apparently that's odd, and i should have 12 or 16? so yea thought id post here and see if anyones able to help, thanks

If you always have 9 channels, then... No, some areas only have 9 at the moment. Maybe lack of frequencies stopping them from opening up more channels. Upgrades are still on-going to 12 and 16 channels.

You'll only get 16 channels if you're on an Arris E6K CMTS, like I'm on.

If you're on an earlier Cisco CMTS then 12, but 9 and 10 were popular around 6 months ago and all may not have been upgraded yet.

The VM Forum Team can probably check for you.

Not sure yet how many channels they're going to be setting up on the the new Cisco cBR-8 and Arris CCAP.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 53
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

That is odd.

It looks like you are missing a channel at 259Mhz, and posibbly two lower frequency channels. It may be a 12 channel MAC Domain running in partial service mode, but that is just a guess.(anything in the logs?)

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can provide an answer.

Those stats don't look like partial service.

hammy434
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Well surely having barely any channels is the reason I'm rarely getting 300mb?
0 Kudos
hammy434
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 53
Flag for a moderator

How do I know what cmts I've got?
0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 7 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Because the only cmts that gets 16 is the arris one and you don't have 16, i only have 12 of 16 and I get full 300 but... I only have 16qam upstream channels so I don't hit 20 upload, I only get 14.6
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 53
Flag for a moderator

hammy434 wrote:
Well surely having barely any channels is the reason I'm rarely getting 300mb?

Yes I would agree. Not much you can do about it though as upgrades take time. Except maybe enquire with the Forum Team, when they respond in a few days, what CMTS you're on, how many channels you should have right now, when it might be improved etc.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 53
Flag for a moderator

hammy434 wrote:
How do I know what cmts I've got?

Go into your network log, find the CMTS MAC address (not your CM MAC address). Enter the first 3 octets into http://wintelguy.com/ and it will tell you the manufacturer.

0 Kudos
hammy434
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 53
Flag for a moderator

ok i hope they upgrade it soon, i wouldve thought itd be upgraded to the 12 or 16 thats required for consistent 300 if theyre gonna offer me it.

it says my cmts mac address belongs to Cisco Systems, Inc. i would have to get the worse cmts wouldnt i? Smiley Sad

anyway hopefully i get upgraded soon so i can actually get proper 300mb......

0 Kudos