Menu
BuZ94
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

70Mbps speed dropping in Burnley BB12 area / Area Reference 20

Hello,

Lately, in the past week me and my family have been having our 70Mbps connection slow down to 10Mbps and even as low as 5Mbps and 3Mbps, with our ping/latency also slowing down as well as that. It's mainly happening late in the afternoon, heading into the evening (past 3pm or so) until an hour or two past midnight. Then it speeds back up to 70Mbps, which doesn't make sense to me... Maybe the area I live in is now oversubscribed lately?

The funny thing is I phoned Virgin Media's retentions department last Monday (the 12th of December) for my dad (because he's the person who pays for the contract with them), in order to negotiate a better deal and get the old TV box we had switched out for the new TiVo box (which I managed to do).

Also the strange thing is before I phoned Virgin Media up about everything on Monday the 12th of December - our 70Mbps broadband was rock solid and mostly always 99% of the time around 69Mbps to slightly more than 70Mbps... - I don't understand what's happening?!?!

I've checked the power levels of my connection/superhub against the power levels thread and they're clearly within good and acceptable range, so it isn't related to my power levels as far as I know. Also why would it be caused by the power levels anyways, if my family's broadband has been pretty much 99% perfect and stable for a year since my family first got the 70Mbps upgrade back in October 2015?

Therefore it clearly must be caused by over-subscription / high utilisation in my area which sucks because there is nothing that can really be done about it - or maybe / possibly an unknown fault which hasn't been diagnosed yet?

We are in the Burnley BB12 area under Area Reference 20. Anyone who lives in Burnley or close to Burnley experiencing similar issues/problems?

Also just to add I'm a Computer / IT Technician myself - so I know how most (a lot) of things work with computers, networks, networking equipment, cables, etc. So please don't try to fob me off with telling me to pinhole reset my hub or something, because I have most likely tried what you're telling me to do. I've tried both wireless and wired, I've tired modem mode, I've tried different cables, different laptops and devices, but still end up with the same damn issue/problem.

python9066
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 70Mbps speed dropping in Burnley BB12 area / Area Reference 20

In Area Reference 20 myself.

Yesterday I got an upgrade from 150 to 200 before the upgrade everything was fine. As soon as I got the upgrade my internet has been all over the place.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi BuZ94,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

I've managed to locate your account, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the network segment is running stable.

I appreciate the tests you have completed so far, but too no avail. When you get chance can you complete a speed test whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode and a PC/laptop in Safe Mode with Networking please to see if there is any difference?

You can also create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of your connection.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Prof72
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Any update on this? I am in the BB12 area too and have had consistent 3-8MBit connections for over two weeks. If I get lucky I might get 1 hour of speeds over 50MBit. Quite literally pulling my hair out over this as I do not want to go back to ADSL as I could never get speeds over 30MBit.

0 Kudos
BuZ94
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Samantha / Virgin Media in general,

since it has been Christmas and New Year I haven't been checking this forum so much, but here I am now... So yeah, I checked the forum every now and again on my specific thread/post to see if anyone replied to it yet or not (normally takes about a week I think, but since Christmas got in the way I suppose it extended to just past two weeks).

I checked last night and noticed I got told to do a BQM, which I've done and here it is:

24e4bf63116489e0f9eddaaa1043f263-05-01-2017

On the BQM you'll notice the ping/latency shot up a few times between 4:00am and 6:00am because I was doing constant speedtest after speedtest on 2 separate computers using Gigabit Ethernet in Safe Mode with Networking (and both of the computers have Windows 7 64bit if you're wondering, with Quad Core CPUs and 8GB of RAM each). I'll prove to you that it isn't my connection specifically, and that it is a problem with Virgin Media's services in my area (Padiham and Burnley in Lancashire, post code BB12 - Area Reference 20).

Here are all the speedtests done at different times using two different computers separately:

Here are the types of internet speeds and general speedtest results I get between 3:30pm in the afternoon, up until 1:30am in the morning (sometimes they're even as low as 3Mbps, but usually hover around the 5Mbps to 8Mbps mark, sometimes even 10 or 12, but nothing more than that):

And here are my normal internet speeds and general speedtest results I get between 2am in the morning and 3pm in the afternoon, then after 3:30pm until 1:30am I start getting the seriously slowed down speed problem that I have shown above. Other than that my service is normal if not excellent outside of the hours between 3:30pm and 1:30am:

awalos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You lucky becuase someone answer you... My problem same Area 20 but on Rochdale after upgrade my speed go down to 30-40mb.

My old speed be fine over 150mb on Vivid200 used SuperHub2ac when change to superhub 3 start problem after activate new SH3.

Spend 14.99 for new SH3 order from VM and spend over 45 month for this poor service i think so back to old fibre braodband from BT becuase speed be same like now but upload is much butter...

5940982777.png5941090421.png

moldywoldy
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i All,Re: 70Mbps speed dropping in Burnley BB12 area / Area Reference 20

Hi All,

Basically VM don't give a sh1te and put financial gain before good customer service.

The BB12 area is now vastly over subscribed - and yet VM still keep taking on new customers.

When you ring you get the usual bullsh1t re "under review with a current fix date of" - whatever date they give you , you can guarantee as you approach this date it will be pushed back yet again.

Basically until enough people complain and are in receipt of compensation VM will not do anything - other than to continually sign up new customers - which in my opinion is mis-selling / fraud as these new customers have no chance at all of getting 200MB speeds - other than at c4:00am in the morning.

My advice:-

- Ring up every month after using speedtest.net to confirm your speeds at peak times are below 10MB (usually 4-7MB).

- insist on compensation for not delivering anywhere near speed paid for. I currently receive £12.50pm (but have to ring each and every month even though the current fix date is MAy 2017 per VM!)

- BB12 is a known utilisation problem - and will continue to be until enough customers are complaining and in receipt of compensation.

- DO NOT UNDER ANY circumstances recommend to any other friends etc (particularly in your area) as you will shoot yourself in the foot and watch your speeds fall even further!!

_ VM ARE PUTTING PROFITS BEFORE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

- I have been with VM for nearly 20 years (NTL previously) and up until end of 2015 speeds were good. Problems started when they advertised first 100MB, then 150MB and finally 200MB 0ver the past 18-24 months - as they have attracted new customers on empy promises.

It is beyond beleif they can do this with seemingly no comeback.

I raised a formal complaint, to receive a telephone call 10 days later (i.e. within 28 days required ) with same crap that the helpline staff robotically deliver ( I feel sorry for them as they know it's all bull - but don;t have any choice but to tow the lies and deceit lines re a fix is in teh pipeline etc etc etc.

Good luck for those who are giving up the ghost and leaving - I'm sure ADSL is on the whole consistently faster than VM DOCSIS 3 blah blah blah.

davidnutter
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, seeing the same here in Colne. 50Mbps during the day, currently getting 13Mbps at 10 P.M. and it's been like this for a few weeks now. That's using the Speedtest App and connecting to a server apparently provided by Virgin in Manchester. Good job guys. Thinking of switching to BT.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey BuZ94,

Thanks for getting back to us, I hope you don't mind me replying, Sam is off today.

I've re-run the tests and your hub and network segment both continue to look fine. There is a little bit of a spike in usage during peak times, though it's not breaching tolerances and to be honest isn't severe enough to cause the drops you're seeing during peak times.

I notice Sam suggested popping the hub into modem mode, but I couldn't find a reference to that in your reply, did you manage to try that? If not, could you try that please? As the issues aren't reflected in the network could I please ask you to complete some ping & tracert tests to a UK-based server both in modem mode and router mode please? We'll be able to use this info to test the network and find out exactly what the cause of your slow speeds is.

Get back to us when you get chance and we'll go from there Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos