Menu
RoyaleMcCheese
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

5mbps on a 200mbps contract

Just got virgin installed, loving the TV service but the internet (which was the primary reason for moving over) is terrible, opted for the maximum on offer (200mbps) but since it was installed 6 hours ago the highest it's ever tested is at 6mbps.

I can see the upload speed is 3 times as fast at times (20mpbs) so something is clearly very wrong Smiley Sad

Cable Modem Status Item Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz)
Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channels Channel Frequency(Hz) Power
(dBmV) SNR
(dB) Modulation Channel ID

12990000002.538.6256 qam57
23230000001.238.6256 qam60
33150000001.538.6256 qam59
4307000000238.6256 qam58
52910000002.438.9256 qam56
62830000002.538.6256 qam55
72750000002.538.6256 qam54
8267000000338.6256 qam53
92590000002.938.6256 qam52
10251000000338.9256 qam51
112430000002.738.9256 qam50
12235000000338.6256 qam

Upstream bonded channels Channel ID Frequency(Hz) Mode Power
(dBmV) Modulation Channel Bandwidth(Hz) Symbol Rate (ksps)

4231000000ATDMA47.316 qam64000005120
4324400000ATDMA47.316 qam64000005120

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID65602
Max Traffic Rate230000000
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID33593
Max Traffic Rate12700000

Tried restarting, and calling support who did something remotely which took it down for an hour, but came back up just the same speed. Tried connecting directly to the router on my laptop, tried testing on wifi etc too incase it was a cable at fault. But nope, just slow.

Also noticed when I download anything (even slowly) my average ping is 600ms, so can't even play Overwatch when other people are online.

Bristol area (BS13)

Any advice welcome!! Thanks

0 Kudos
arborlinden
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5mbps on a 200mbps contract

Join the club. Virgin Media has been 100% reliable for years until a few month ago when in the Norwich area it became very speed variable. We were told that it was due to work in hand to upgrade the infrastructure and all would be back to normal by 21st December. Instead it became worse and now we are told it is due to upgrading work on the infrastructure and it will all be back to normal by 1st March. Truth (which Virgin will never admit too) is probably that the message has got out that BT and all the other providers which rely on telephone lines never have and never will be able to provide the service that Virgin can with fibre and coax and people are signing up to Virgin. Instead of being honest and ethical Virgin are connecting more people and taking their money so that for large parts of the day their system cannot cope and will not cope until the feed capacity if improved. In some areas probably needs to doubled. 

The Bristol area and probably many others are in the same boat.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there RoyaleMcCheese,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to see that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004107792 and has a review date of 12th April.

As the speed test you completed was outside these hours, was that through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try through wired please to see if the speeds differ?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RoyaleMcCheese
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply,

I've tried wifi and connecting directly into the router, I don't think it's a lan issue as I had to get up at 4am once for work and did a speed test and it got to 130mbs. Unfortunately not being Batman I'm normally asleep during the night so it's not much use to me, during the day it's not once gone above 15mbs, so whatever the issue is it's not just at peak times but I have noticed that between 5-9 it's about 5mpbs tops, where as around these times it's closer to the 15mbs.

Not sure what to do, I was clear when i signed up to Virgin that I was switching over due to wanting quicker internet, why the Bristol branch would let me go ahead and sign up for a 1 year contract at 200mbs, when there is now an apparent technical fault meaning getting that speed is a complete impossibility..

What do you guys suggest? is it possible to not be paying for a 200mbs connection until this is sorted in April; or do I just need to cancel the contract asap?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi RoyaleMcCheese,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If you are achieving slow speeds outside these hours, there might be something else besides the fault causing an issue.

Can you complete speed tests whilst the Hub is in modem mode during the daytime and post a link/screenshot of the results please? This will eliminate other devices connected. 

You can also create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection. If you do create a BQM you will need to disable the firewall within the router settings.

In regards to the high peak time traffic fault, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some additional information.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

RoyaleMcCheese wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

I've tried wifi and connecting directly into the router, I don't think it's a lan issue as I had to get up at 4am once for work and did a speed test and it got to 130mbs. Unfortunately not being Batman I'm normally asleep during the night so it's not much use to me, during the day it's not once gone above 15mbs, so whatever the issue is it's not just at peak times but I have noticed that between 5-9 it's about 5mpbs tops, where as around these times it's closer to the 15mbs.

Not sure what to do, I was clear when i signed up to Virgin that I was switching over due to wanting quicker internet, why the Bristol branch would let me go ahead and sign up for a 1 year contract at 200mbs, when there is now an apparent technical fault meaning getting that speed is a complete impossibility..

What do you guys suggest? is it possible to not be paying for a 200mbs connection until this is sorted in April; or do I just need to cancel the contract asap?

Thanks!

The best way is highlighted, as this will go on for longer than you think, years longer. Proof is in the forums, VM have sold you into an area that is oversubscribed, which has voided your contract by their default, they cannot charge you to end your contract as they, again, have defaulted it.

If I was you run, run as fast as you can to cancel your contract, if you are in an oversubscribed area it will take years for VM to put their hand in their pockets, they will blame the councils first for planning permission. You have you cooling period leave, and get them to pay for your previous ISP to be installed back as you are out of pocket, they have a legal duty of care to provide you with your contracted speed, they have failed.

• You need to cancel ASAP. (14 days cooling off period)
  • You need to complain using their procedure : Complaints Code Of Practice.
  • After 8 Weeks take it up with VM's regulator CISAS.
  • Request with the CISAS complaint that you want to be fully reimbursed for all costs and time (you can get a max of £10k) and a written apology to rub it in 
  • You don't need to be in a contract with VM to do all this.

If more people do this VM with get a hefty fine for not treating their customers by the rules, a bit like what happened to EE.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy