Menu
hansi
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

5ghz problem

A question for all you computer geeks out there.I have just bought a new Asus laptop (Windows 10) which works fine except that it only works on the 2ghz band. I have checked the properties of the network adaptor and it won't accept 5ghz. It's not a major problem although it is a bit slow. Could I use a wireless USB dongle to get the 5ghz and if so, do you have any recommendations please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5ghz problem

Yes you can use USB adapters.

Honestly just look on amazon for one. Don't get a mini adapter though get one with an antenna at least, you will get better signal.

Read reviews. They are your best friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

hansi
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks
0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Will any dual band dongle work with the Super Hub and does it connect automatically? Sorry for all the questions, bit of a bonehead on these matters, and is any one make better than another? I have an Aus laptop so should I get an Asus dongle?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The dongles will detect the network like your network card normally does. You will just have to choose the 5ghz band and enter the pass phrase like normal.

The brand of your laptop makes no difference to the brand of the dongle.

Personally always used to use Belkin adapters before I got a computer with a wireless network card in it.

0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I went ot see my friendly independent computer man today and wanted to buy a dongle from him, but he told me not to waste my money as I would not notice any appreciable difference in speed. Very honest of him but is he right?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Depends on your internet usage. If you are downloading files you 'should' notice a difference. If you are browsing facebook/YouTube/gaming you probably won't.

The 5ghz band is capable of transmitting at a much higher rate than the 2ghz band, and it doesn't suffer from wireless congestion as much.

Ultimately if you care about speed, just wire up. It's the cheapest/best route to go anyway. With a wired connection you to get a much for stable connection too.

0 Kudos