Menu
Pops2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

50kbps broadband!!!

New customer promised 50Mbps. Maximum I get is 50Kbps and you want £32 a month for that!

I have Ethernet connection not wireless.

Not to mention the amount of money I spent on calling to activate the account today. 3 phone calls all well over 20 minutes a time. One, of many displays of gross inefficiency, was that the same staff member I was speaking to kept asking, at different times of the conversation, for my name and also my address, do they not write things down? But I do not want to talk about the GROSS incompetence of the staff on the phone, I want to know why I was lied to about the speed I would be getting. 

I used to live out in the countryside and was the last on the line with a BT connection, but that was at least 3 times quicker than this fiber connection I now have with Virgin and a lot cheaper! At least with them they charged you for what you were getting, with Virgin I am paying for what the salesman said, not for what I actually receive which is 10%. I presume the debit to my account will be a mere £3.20 then?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 50kbps broadband!!!

Hi Pops2,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running stable with no issues.

Can you complete speed tests whilst the Hub 3.0 is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected. If you can use speedtest.net > select the default server and post a link/screenshot of the results, that would be great.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Pops2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5778671776.png

Hope the link to the results works. In case it doesn't, Download speed was 14.6Mps, Upload was 3.14Mps.

As a matter of interest, I have now received a contract to sign. I am loathe to sign it if this is the type of slow service/speed I am getting.

Also, the email with the contract states that as soon as I sign I will get delivery of my Router! A third one!!!!

Someone at Virgin Media is not doing their job! Why am I about to get my third Router? What a waste of money! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pops2,

Thanks for the quick reply and for the speedtest result, I appreciate it.

In regards to the speed test you completed was that through wireless/wired/modem mode? If it was modem mode I am unable to find the IP address that would have been assigned when this was enabled. If you can try modem mode again, that would be great.

With the contract you can give us a call on either 150 free from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 to discuss this further.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Pops2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It was modem mode as you asked.  Smiley Frustrated

Ok, here's the thing. You now asking me to do stuff that I have no clue about. I can not see in the contract that I must be an IT wizard or my problems will not get resolved! I look after sick people, that is my job! You guys are at Virgin Media because you have the technical savvy to supposedly do your job, don't try pass the buck! 

As for phoning, I did not take the phone package, purely Broadband. So, every time I call you guys, pay as you go, it costs me. Read earlier on where I griped about this very fact! I call, it costs me. The 'people' on the other end waste time asking the same questions 3 times during a conversation Ie. What is your name? What is your address? Because they are too inefficient to write things down! So, I am not calling again because no one can reassure me that the problem will get resolved with another costly phone call! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Evening Pops2,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I know this is frustrating to say the least and I understand that you do not want to call through to us. I want to be able to help resolve this issue for you and as I am unable to see any apparent reason on the network that would cause this we need some tests to be completed.

I mentioned to try modem mode, however the IP address that would of been assigned, I am unable to find. If you can try modem mode again please which the guide can be found in my earlier post, that will help us further.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
Pops2
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have managed to improve the download speed by removing the cable and going wireless! How ridiculous is that!!!

Look, all I want is for this contract, which I have not signed, to be cancelled. I find that you are a totally inept bunch of scoundrels who have no interest in solving anything. All you do is pass the buck back onto me to try achieve what you promised!!

I get better internet reception using my mobile phone as a hot spot! 

Get someone to collect the two routers (Yep, 2!!! More evidence of your incompetence!) and I am going elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Pops2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And today I get a bill for £69! Are you having a laugh!!!!
To top it all, the email says that all technical calls or visits are for free? Really??? When I asked for a technician to come out, seeing as it was a new connection, I was told it would cost me £75!!!!

I am not paying the bill, you have only given me 50kbps no where near the 50Mbps! I can not even watch a clip on Facebook as it keeps streaming and if I have my Yahoo email open at the same time that's it! It keeps changing connection and losing the page!!!

0 Kudos
Pops2
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, I called in to cancel.
Apparently I will be charged a cancellation fee of over £200. For what?
There is no contract. Virgin promised 50Mbps and have not supplied even 1% of that.
There is apparently an expert who can talk to me and possible resolve the issue, but, the earliest appointment when he can call me is 9 December. Now, I wonder why the so called technical team is not able to do that when I call them!!!

The only satisfaction I get in all this is that I get to spend time telling as many folk as possible what Virgin is not capable of doing!
0 Kudos