Menu
echo-scream
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

4 days of crippled broadband (so far)

Been with virgin 2 years or so no with no troubles however since 24/03/2017 4pm ish my entire broadband been crippled.

I'm currently at work and the virgin phone system wont work so ill simply state what I know from my attempts over the weekend.

1. I'm on a theoretical 150Mbps (fiber) line. last 4 days I've been getting 0-2Mbps with occasional spikes up to the normal 90-100Mbps I used to get but for no more than a few seconds.
  2. Reset the router 18 times over the weekend no effect.
  3. Router only has a pc and a console attached both hardwired both showing same issue
  4. Its a home hub 2 but I've had no issue with it or the adaptor.
  5. if the DB adaptor is fitted or not has no effect.
  6. I'm in area 22 (Leeds area).
  7. time of day has zero affect it seems.
  8. power levels were showing between 7 and 8.

I wouldn't mind lower speeds that the 100Mbps I usually get but this low especially with complete drop outs makes it unusable in any way.

Only other thing I noticed in my router is the following fault showing on the diagnostics:

'lost MDD timeout'. this fault appears every 1-4 seconds over the weekend and I cant find any concrete information about it.

Any help much appreciated, I've paid for the next month but I am not spending money on something this faulty.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4 days of crippled broadband (so far)

Sounds like an intermittent problem. What is your UPstream power levels/error count showing?

As a point though, you are not on a Fibre line. It's copper coax cable. Internet providers like to say they are Fibre but they are all Fibre to a point, which is not your property.
Hub2 perfectly fine - probably better than the hub3 with its issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like an intermittent problem. What is your UPstream power levels/error count showing?

As a point though, you are not on a Fibre line. It's copper coax cable. Internet providers like to say they are Fibre but they are all Fibre to a point, which is not your property.
Hub2 perfectly fine - probably better than the hub3 with its issues.

echo-scream
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

interesting I'm hoping the same ill double check when I get home.

going from memory (ill add the screenshots when I get home) I believe all the channels were between 25 and 35.5 upstream.

the error count I've never reset but it was well into 6/7 digits of faults.

thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If the channels were that low that sounds like it could be an issue. Depends if you live right next to the box though.

Can you post screenshots of both the downstream and upstream later?

0 Kudos
echo-scream
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

downstream.PNGupstream.PNG

I've just got home and rebooted the hub. see above if anything stands out. it seems stable (for the past 5 mins) though it looks at lot different to when i looked yesterday.

Any help much appreciated. im giving it this afternoon if it plays up again ill try push it on the phone to find a human being.

in addition i believe the main cabinet/interchange is 10 doors down (back to back terrace) on the end of the street.

0 Kudos
Andy2110
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

its funny that mine has been crippled also since wed/thursday and have reset loads and have an upstream power of 58.2.

Spoken to virgin and they will test line etc etc and tell u no faults

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@echo-scream

Nothing looks off in those pictures. Post again when things start being funny and we can look to see if anything stands out then.

@Andy2110

If your upstream is that high - you need an engineer visit. Would advise getting on the phone and getting one booked.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Andy2110

Really sorry we did not pick up on this earlier but it does look like a possible modem/line issue as downstream power levels and SNR too low 

-3.5 dBmV        -2.9 dBmV        -2.7 dBmV        -3 dBmV        -4 dBmV        -4 dBmV        -4 dBmV        -4.2 dBmV        -4.2 dBmV        -4.9 dBmV        -5.7 dBmV        -6 dBmV        -6.2 dBmV        -6 dBmV        -6 dBmV        -6 dBmV        -6.9 dBmV        -7.7 dBmV        -8.2 dBmV        -8.2 dBmV        -7.7 dBmV        -7.5 dBmV        -8.2 dBmV        -9.7 dBmV
        33.9 dB        34.4 dB        34.3 dB        34.3 dB        33.8 dB        33.4 dB        33.4 dB        33 dB        32.6 dB        32.3 dB        31.6 dB        31.4 dB        31.3 dB        31.1 dB        31.1 dB        31.1 dB        30.8 dB        30.4 dB        30.2 dB        30.4 dB        30.6 dB        30.4 dB        29.9 dB        29.3 dB

Ironically upstream power levels okay at the moment, sometimes the modem may raise the upstream power to overcome area noise but all looking good.

49 dBmV        49.5 dBmV

Best we let an engineer take a look please, I will send you a forum PM to arrange an appointment.

Thank you, speak soon

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello echo-scream

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with the connection but so pleased to see you are getting some sound advice from Shafreya. The MDD timeouts you mention does make me wonder if there is a bit of downstream trouble on your line or in the area. At the moment it all looks good, please would you be so kind as to keep an eye on it and as Shafreya mentioned post the stats and modem log when it is happening..... although fingers crossed it does occur not again Smiley Happy

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Andy2110

Thanks for your message, you were asking what the power/SNR levels should be to determine whether you really needed an engineer. A good question so I thought I would post in the thread to help others as well. One of our Superusers has done this guide that explains it POWER LEVELS & SNR: A TECHNICAL PRIMER (updated October 2016)

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos