Menu
Kamran123
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

30mbps speed boost to 50mbps but already upgraded to 50mbps

I previously had 30mbps virgin media internet but it was too slow and I noticed when I logged in my home page it said a speed upgrade was due which was supposed to make my 30mbps go to 50mbps, before the upgrade was applied I upgraded the internet my self to 50mbps so is the speed upgrade now invalid because I noticed that if you were already on 50mbps you get 70mbps with the speed boost but since I already upgraded to 50mbps from 30mbps does this mean I cant get a free upgrade to 70mbps? Another thing is that most of the day I don't receive 50mbps its usually around 10 and at peak times it gets as low as 0.7 mbps which is simply not even to game online, could this be because I have the 2.0 Superhub? Paying £44.99 monthly for less than a mb in peak hours isn't very acceptable!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 30mbps speed boost to 50mbps but already upgraded to 50mbps

The free speed boost from 50Mbps to 70Mbps is only for customers who were on 50Mbps before 24/11/2015 and have not made changes to their package or agreed a new deal since then.

With regard to your slow speeds, are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screen shots if that is easier.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up to a week) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Kamran123
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have a Homeplug TP Link which is connected wired to my router and another plug upstairs connected to my PS4 which basically makes it a wired connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Powerline adapters usually produce much less speed than they are rated for, what model do you have?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Kamran123
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Kamran123 wrote:
I have a Homeplug TP Link which is connected wired to my router and another plug upstairs connected to my PS4 which basically makes it a wired connection

Connecting via power line adapters and testing speeds with a console isn't the best way to test.  The PS4 speed test can give misleading results if the Sony servers are busy and powerline adapters can be slowed by interference on your electrical circuit from other electrical devices e.g. A mobile phone charger.

To get an accurate test it would be best to connect a PC or Mac direct to the hub.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Kamran123
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Its really annoying because ill get like 40mbps if no one else uses the Internet in the whole house but as soon as my brother uses a xbox to go online it drops straight away to like 0.5mbps ive even seen a ping of 250 and 0.01 mbps, do i have to upgrade my internet to 100mbps or something
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kamran123,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I can see that Scott has given you some great advice Smiley Happy

I've taken a look at your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004134998 and with a review date of 28th December.

As this will impact your connection during peak hours, can you complete speed tests through a PC direct to the Super Hub outside these hours to see if there is a difference? Also in regards to the high pings, can you post these results please?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kamran123
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam, the lag issue has been resolved as I upgraded to 200mbps. But even in off peak times I have never actually seen it above 100, do you know the reason why
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kamran123,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm glad the lag issue has been resolved, that's great Smiley Happy

In regards to not achieving above 100 Mbps broadband speeds outside of peak hours, does the PC/laptop that you are testing on have a gigabit LAN card and are you using a Cat 5e or above Ethernet cable?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos