Menu
Rmilton10
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2g or not 2g that is the question

Hi

2g or 5g?

5g gives me the speed (When it works) I sometimes get the internet connection not available red error message on my iPhone/iPad. 

Thoroughly ticked off with not getting decent speeds on my super hub, I realised I was getting 175 Mbps on 5g but my hub kicks me off 5g and switches me over to 2g that & puts me on 2g from time to time. I also notice that 5g is sometimes unavailable

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2g or not 2g that is the question

Generally if you can use 5G, use it. 2G is congested to hell so doesn't get near as high speeds.

If you are far away from the router though you may be limited to 2G as 5G does not go the same distance as 2G, lack of penetration.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Rmilton10
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick response and some restoration of my view on humanity. 

Yes I was told by the installer to stay the heck away from 2g - at all costs! (From now on to be called the dark side of the force). Do all superhubs have this issue? I'm curious because it seems like the shared utilisation causing a loss of speed is a serious design fault. Is there anything I can do? Can I get a new new Superhub and stay away from all this loss of speed silliness? (Like a Jedi)

Over.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is probably not the hub that is kicking you off the 5G and switching you to the 2.4Ghz, it is probably your apple device. Most wireless adapters can roam and connect to the strongest available signal. I would look for a roaming setting (WiFi not cellular) in the iPad\Phone settings and reduce the roaming agressiveness if possible.

Have you got a hub 3? If so I would give the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs different names so you can connect to the 5Ghz explictly.

Does the speed drop with range, or is it random?

The 5Ghz has a shorter range due to the higher frequencies having a greater free to air loss and poorer penetration of most walls as stated. If the dropouts are due to range issues you may want to look at wireless Access points wired back to the hub, or wireless powerline adapters to increase the range.

It would also be worth changing the wireless channels, it would be worth starting with the lower channels first. I would bear in mind that channels 100 and above are subject to DFS controls.

The hubs are basic entry levels devices and getting a decent third party wireless router might sort your problems, depending on your wireless environment. Wireless is fickle by nature.

0 Kudos
Rmilton10
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi super user Griffin, many thanks for your quick and highly articulate & in depth reply.

Let me try and answer some of the questions you raise, and provide a further insight into my world of superhub madness.

For our sins We mostly use Apple products iPads iPhones etc and whilst we try to forget the 2g networks it seems to always worm its way back into our devices that is probably as you suggest an issue with Apple not the super hub.

We have the super hub 2 - is 3 better perhaps I should ask for it? It shows the connections as seperate entities.

Difficult to answer the speed question as we have a well acknowledge utilisation issue in our area. Range does reduce but then Friday evening at 6pm so it's difficult to tell accurately.

I did go to the extreme of buying some cheap power line adaptors they never worked well & i have changed the wireless channels more times than we've had hit dinners it never seems to work more than a few days but again the engineers who have been here all agree the utilisation problem trumps a lot of this.. What can you do...

I looked briefly at the regulatory stuff regarding DFS. Wow!

Whilst I can defend the superhub on some levels I can't help but think you shouldn't be advertising a product that doesn't deliver a proper service.

You wouldn't buy a car advertised with 4 wheels, only To find out it only has 3(And then only 1 wheel once you go past a certain distance) bad analogy but I'm sure you get my point...

Over
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You are correct, the utilisation issue trumps everything. The wireless connection cannot connect to the internet any faster than the pipe allows. If that pipe is clogged, then you are stuck. I think this is your most pressing issue.

If you have the SH2AC (VMDG 490) then I would stick with that, as the Hub 3 still has a few firmware issues.

A wireless scanner will help you change channels (especially on the 2.4Ghz band) by showing you the wireless networks around you, allowing you can pick the best wireless channel. Bear in mind it will not pick up interference from devices like A|V streaming devices, Baby monitors, chordless phones, microwave ovens, Plasms TVs, Security systems etc. You can find instructions on how to enale the wifi scanner on iPads here.

Wireless environments are dynamic and can change at any time. In congested areas you can get a cascade effect where one wireless network changes channel impacting another wireless network, which changes channel to avoid the interference and then causes interference to another wireless network etc. etc. etc.

The main problem is that the 2.4Ghz is very narrow, only supporting three non-overlapping channels, and it has to contend with pollution from other devices like I've listed above.

Apple devices do not allow channel bonding (40Mhz wide channel) on the 2.4Ghz band, so you will not get top speeds on the 2.4Ghz band. (Some iPad speed tests here  ) More modern devices like iPad Airs and iPhone 6 are faster, especially on the 5Ghz band and the speed will depend on if they are MIMO capable and/or support the wireless AC standard.

On the car analogy, the Hub's are not Ford Mustangs, but Ford Fiestas, they just do a basic job. However, both will slow down when driving in fog, and both will run out of petrol eventually. The Ford Mustang will just do both jobs better as it has better fog lights and a bigger petrol tank.

0 Kudos