Menu
greyman
Superfast
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

216Mbps off-peak dropped to less than 2Mbps during peak times

Hi all,

My 200Mbps VIVID connection had been performing like a dog recently, so last week i checked it out with support.  To cut a long story short, it would appear that there are simply too many subscribers being crammed onto too small a connection, to achieve anywhere near the advertised speeds.  I was told that VM were aware of the situation and that corrective works were currently under way and would be completed in around a week.  I even got promised a credit to my account for my inconvenience.

However, earlier this week, as i was only getting around 7Mbps and as i had read on these forums that VM call centre operatives can sometimes get a little confused with timescales, I called again and as the update works are actually not due to be completed until May, I asked for my connection to be downgraded to a 50Mbps connection until they are.  That is the cheapest tariff, but although I'm still not getting anywhere near that, I didn't see why I should be paying more for the same poor connection.  Interestingly, there was a suggestion that I would now be tied into a new 1-year contract, as a result of me choosing to change the speed of connection, but following a bit of a discussion about the fairness of that, they chose not to impose that rather ironic barrier to me switching provider if peak speeds don't improve within the promised timescales.

However, this evening, performance dipped to an even lower level, with speeds of less than 2Mbps, from my nearest VM-controlled speedtest.net server.  

I know that I could just switch providers and depending upon the promised May update, if my patience lasts that long, I might just do that.  However, this got me thinking about how many new users are still being signed up, reasonably expecting to get somewhere near the advertised speeds, when VM will already know for a fact that they are not going to get anywhere near?  I can't imagine why anyone would agree to pay for even the cheapest 50Mbps connection, if they are being honestly told that all they are going to get in the evening is nearer 2Mbps.  

Ofcom's code of practice on broadband speeds for residential customers comes to mind. Although that is voluntary code of practice, VM have signed up for it and so will be benefiting from the feeling of warmth and confidence that such a thing might inspire in potential customers.  However, from my experience at least, it would appear that they might not be sticking to the code of practice too closely.   

I did try to contact support again this evening, but wasn't overly keen on the estimated queuing time that greeted me.  Maybe the call centre is busy taking calls from disillusioned new customers?

It would be really good if a VM operative could respond and let me know that I am getting this all wrong and that VM are not and will not be signing up new customers, effectively under false pretences, until the update has been done.

On the flip side, if you are a new user and feel that you are getting way less than you were told at the point of sale, you might want to chip in too.

MartyB
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 216Mbps off-peak dropped to less than 2Mbps during peak times

Excellent post!
I swapped from Sky to Virgin yesterday,from a 4-6mbps sky broadband to the Vivid 100 Virgin fibre. Speed test is now showing anything from 2-5MBps at peak times although at 05:30 am this morning I had 91MBps! The performance for streaming this evening has been worse than Sky ever was and to be honest I'm regretting it. Luckily I'm only on the second day and i may cancel if it doesn't improve!
greyman
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It does look like lots of area codes are suffering from the same over utilisation issues, so it might be worth checking if anyone else from your area code has previously posted about slow peak time speeds. I'm in area 30 by the way.

I've been a customer of VM and the cable modem companies that they effectively bought out, NTL and Diamond Cable before that and I have always paid for the fastest connection available, but watching a stuttering web-based video earlier this evening, I did find myself seriously considering jumping ship.

It looks to me like VM have simply overstretched their infrastructure, but are still trying to milk their customers for all they can get. There's really not much of a future in that.
0 Kudos
wrighty1977
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

im a new customer aswell and ive had nothing but trouble from the date i joined on the 9th of december 2016 it was my tv playing up aswell all over xmas new year we couldnt watch the tv at all as all it was doing was pixulating and my internet speeds drop down to 0.37 i keeped all the speed tests on all my devices to show to all the technitions that keep coming out but funny how its 100 when they test it erm ok well all i can say to that is they turn it up when there here and a few hours later it drops again so i call them up again time and time again same problems and yes they can turn them up as how do you think you can gey 50 70 100 200 300 so they cant say they cant turn them up and down 

i left sky my self and brought my self out of a 4 month contract to come to these for nothing but trouble with speeds and tv the only thing that has worked has been phone line 

i also welcome any of member of virginmedia to comment on this 

i think if every customer refuses to pay there bills until problem is fixed they might actually pull there finger out 

kind regards 

0 Kudos
wrighty1977
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

oh by the way im area 31

0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Leave while you can, I pay for 300/20, get less than half during the evening, just ended my service, it wont get any better for you, it will only get worse, I've gone to a company called origin, basically bt but cheaper, I can pretty much get full speed with them, latency is far better too.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
Wull50
Just joined
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same here got upgraded to 150mg reaching 40 on a good day

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey MartyB,

Please don't take me marking your post as not being helpful as anything other than me trying to remove anything that might prevent a VM representative from bothering to post a response.

I'm not overly hopeful that any such post will help much, but it would be nice if someone could acknowledge that one of their cash-paying customers is having significant issues with their service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi greyman, 

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds and connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004175974 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date for this is 17/05/2017. I will pop you a PM to discuss this further. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi wrighty1977, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have also had trouble with your speeds. 

I have taken a look and from what I can see things look ok from this side, having said that I am having a little trouble finding your power levels. 

Please pop them up here and we will take a further look for you:

192.168.0.1 in the browser, log in  Username is admin and the password will be changeme, unless you have changed it.

Go to Advanced settings.

Go to Network Status, copy the results back here.

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection? If wireless try wired and let us know if it makes a difference. Pop the hub into modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know how you get on. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos