Menu
AshHughes20
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

20mb Download speed when paying for 200mb

Hi, I was a sky customer 4 months ago paying for 50mb and getting about 28mb download speed and then switched to virgin media for the 200mbs package, I always used the same setup on my xbox as the router was too far away i used a powerline adaptor and worked fine. Since having 200mbs i've gone over 20mb once where it hit 43mbs for about 5 seconds then dropped to average 18mbs again.

I've set my xbox as DMZ host and this improved it too about average of 23mbs. Im also getting 1% packet loss every time i run a network test.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can improve this speed?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 20mb Download speed when paying for 200mb

how is your xbox connected, wired or via Wifi, if wifi what speeds do you get wired?

0 Kudos
AshHughes20
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's connected wired with a powerline adapator through the electrics, Wifi for me is really poor signal as its on the otherside of the house about 20m away. Tend to get download speeds between 10-20mbs

Edit - Just to add my iPhone 7 rarely connects to WiFi if im in the same room as xbox the signal strength is that poor.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

which powerline adapter are you using and any chance of a proper wired test to rule out internal issues.

0 Kudos
AshHughes20
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think its the Netgear PL1000-100UKS Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit,
I'll have to double check when i'm home though.
What is a proper wired test? I should be able to try that later too.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, ok probably not the powerline adapter as its a pretty decent one, however it could still be effected by things in the house wiring, so just for a test could you plug an Ethernet lead straight from the xbox to the hub3 and see what speed that gives you.

its probably also worth logging onto the hub and posting its stats here as it looks more likely its an issue on the internet side of things and that should identify if you have issues with your power levels etc.

However as this is a community run forum, you'll then have to wait around a week for a member of virgin staff to pick up on this but at least in the meantime you should have a better idea what the problem is.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Basically you want to run a wired test from the superhub to a PC. No power lines in the way. They may be ok powerlines but in general if a powerline adapter even gets 1/5 of its rated speed it's considered lucky. VM can control the connection to the hub but from that point in, anything other than a direct wired test isn't really useful for diagnostics as wifi isn't controllable by VM, and it's limited by too many factors, powerline adapters are the same. VM can't control the state of your circuitry in your home or the noise from other appliances on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
AshHughes20
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So i've just tried it with just the ethernet straight into the router and i was getting 214mb... More like it..

I've tried 2 different cables that I know work fine in the powerline adaptor too so it must be my electrics or something..

Is there any alternative to try as I don't have a 30m ethernet about (i'm not even sure if 30m will make it) Will say a 50m give a big difference compared to 30m?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Get some string, use that to measure how much cable you will need (will also helpyou show where you will need to hide/tuck the cable) and go from there.

There is no real alternative to a good Ethernet cable for stability and throughput.

The length shouldn't make a noticeable difference until you get to around 100m of cable, but the shorter the better for latency even if it's a negligible difference.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
AshHughes20
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can i use a Cat6 flat network patch cable ?

I'm not sure if thats the same as an ethernet cable?

0 Kudos