Menu
alan71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

200mbs upgrade not 200mbs

I have upgraded to 200mbs & also got a new hub 3.

I had 150mbs before & got 157mbs on ethernet & 84mbs on wireless.

now I have 200mbs & a new hub 3 I only get a maximum of 94mbs on ethernet but 124mbs on wireless this doesn`t make any sense I should get more on ethernet than wireless & should be getting 200mbs.

has anyone got an answer to this problem??.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 200mbs upgrade not 200mbs

It could be the Ethernet cable that is limiting the speed, if it is damaged. If the wired connection from the hub to your desktop is showing an orange light on the Ethernet port of your network card, then the hub might only be negotiating a 100Mbs connection.

You could try a wired test directly connected to the hub in modem mode to see if the speed improves.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It could be the Ethernet cable that is limiting the speed, if it is damaged. If the wired connection from the hub to your desktop is showing an orange light on the Ethernet port of your network card, then the hub might only be negotiating a 100Mbs connection.

You could try a wired test directly connected to the hub in modem mode to see if the speed improves.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

alan71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

thanks sca 1972.

I have tried everything you suggested, in modem mode the hub just freezes & I had to reset to factory mode to get it going again,, my ethernet cable was working perfectly on 150mbs before my upgrade.

having reset everything including my computer I am now getting a max of 120mbs on ethernet but am now getting 147mbs on wireless very strange I think.

I will get a new top of the range ethernet cable & see what happens as it could be the cable is not up to taking the speed from my new hub 3.

thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The hub freezing in modem mode is odd and a little concerning.

If you get a certified Cat5e or Cat6 cable then that will be capable of 200Mbps, some other cables can do it but they are not certified for speeds above 100Mbps so it can be a bit hit and miss.

0 Kudos
Mickeymicron
Joining in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, 150Mb + before the 200Mb upgrade, now the best I've had is 130Mb 

0 Kudos
alan71
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

have just installed a new cat 7 cable to my hub 3,,no change still 94mbs ethernet & 148mbs wireless.

wireless is better than ethernet it should be the other way round & none of it has got anywhere near 200mbs total ripoff.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Might be worth looking at the Ethernet adapter driver, I would check that they are up to date according to the adapter's manufacturer's website. Might be worth reinstalling the adapter as there might be a slight compatibility problem between the adapter and hub 3.

0 Kudos
alan71
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

upgraded everything,hub 3, adapter & cables (cat 7) total waste of time no where near 200mbs.

and today monday 18th April all speeds have been below 100mbs on ethernet & wireless,,,I have never reached anywhere near 200mbs which is what I am paying for TOTAL RIP OFF BY VIRGIN

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hello alan71

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with speed, it is nice to see the community helping though.

Your connection itself looks good but one of the things I observe is that the area traffic is high at peak times. In fact it may well impact you so I have raised a job to our network planning team with a view to upgrade work F004393400. Obviously that will only impact you at peak times and fingers crossed you should be getting nearer the 200Mbps outside of then. Just to be sure check the LED where the Ethernet plugs into the hub is green not orange, this indicates a successful 1Gbps negotiation. Also what speed test are you using? Please try www.speedtest.net with the default server as this will hopefully stay on our network and give a truer indicator of throughput.

Please keep us updated and in the meantime one of us will be in contact to discuss the area problem.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
alan71
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

it has now been 3 months since I complained about my non 200mbs speed.

and although you said work would be done to rectify this my speed is now even slower IE: wireless is 81mbs,,and ethernet is 94mbs.

these speeds are via www.speedtest.net as you suggested.

I was getting better speeds with my previous hub,,obviously this new hub 3 is a rubbish upgrade that is not fit for purpose.

I am fed up with it & it is just not good enough.

having gone through the forum I find a lot of people are having the same problems in not getting nowhere near the speeds we are paying for.

0 Kudos