Menu
Delta452
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

200mb wired / 70mb wireless

I had the new virgin service installed yesterday, however Im not able to get anywhere near the same speeds over wireless than I am when wired.

ive done all the usual things like change the wireless channel, however the only way I can resolve the issue is by disabling the 2.4 frequency and only using 5. However, the vast majority of my legacy devices use e 2.4 channel.

i can't think of any other reason why I can't achieve ~200mg on the 2.4 frequency. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200mb wired / 70mb wireless

Probably your wireless client's hardware.

A single wireless stream will support 72Mbps using one 20Mhz wide wireless channel and 150Mbps using two channels bonded together to form a 40Mhz wide channel.

These speeds are Link speeds that are the theoretical speed in one direction,  due to the half duplex (can recieve and transmit, but not simultaneously) nature of wireless and operational overheads it needs to carry, acual speeds will be about 50 - 65% of the link speed.

To get high speeds wirelessly you will need a device that can use multiple wireless streams (MIMO).

So, two wireless streams will boost the wireless speed to 144Mbps using one channel and 300Mbps using two channels.

However, the 2.4Ghz band is narrow, so using two wireless channels is not a good idea as the wireless signal would be vulnerable to interference from other wireless networks and domestic appliances.

The 5Ghz band is wider so using two wireless channels is less problematic.

The wireless AC standard can bond 4 wireless channels together (that is why it is 5Ghz only) and can use a higher modulation  which can increase the link speed to 433Mbps.

So, basically you will need MIMO capable devices using the 5Ghz band to get the best speeds with AC compatible devices giving the best speed.

0 Kudos
Delta452
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've had over 200mb on all of the devices (on a different residential network) I'm trying to use with the virgin service, but none of them get anywhere near the 200mb on either the 2.4 or the 5.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For clarification:

What devices are you using?

How were you testing the speeds?

What was the other residential network?

0 Kudos
Delta452
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

iPhone 6
Laptop connects via 2.4
Android device on 5

Tested using speed test app on all devices

Communal wifi in a residential block of new flats
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I really would not expect to ever get over 70Mbs on th 2.4ghz network. That's the point you start looking at the 5ghz network if you need the speed (and consequently USB 5ghz adapters for older tech).

70Mbs is pretty good as it is for 2.4ghz in real world situations and not labs with clean wireless spectrums.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The iPhone 6 supports wireless AC but is not MIMO unlike the iPhone 6s.

So, you should get around 200Mbps close to the hub using wireless AC, about 75 to 90Mbps without AC. (you will loose the 80Mhz channel at about 9 to 10 m from the hub with a clear line of sight).

What Hub have you got?

You will need the Hub 3 or SH2AC (VMDG 490), to use wireless AC. The settings of the hub needs to be set to the max, i.e. upto 1.3Gbs on the 5Ghz band for the SH2AC  and 20/40/80 channel widths enabled on the Hub 3.

What 5Ghz Android device is it? The speed will depend on it's capabilities.

Again what make and model is the laptop using the 2.4Ghz band?

Again, speed will depend on the capabilities of the wireless adapter, and other factors like range, interference and the topography of your home.

0 Kudos