Menu
roosauce
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

200MBit - Slow Service

Hello Virgin,

I upgraded to 200Mbps around a month ago. I am regularly seeing nearly 200Mbps on my WIRED connection at non-peak times. At peak times I am seeing sub-20Mbps and sometimes even sub10Mbps. Prior to the 'upgrade' IO saw drops to around 100Mbps at peak times ... which was far from ideal, but now it is terrible.

What can be done to remedy my situation? I'm paying far far more than standard DSL and receiving a far far poorer service (!).

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
roosauce
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200MBit - Slow Service

I am in NW10 London.

0 Kudos
roosauce
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 ..
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Every time you bump your thread you go to the back of the queue sadly, it's how their system works. The current wait till is between 1-2 weeks for a reply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

roosauce
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apparently this is going to bump me to the back of the queue but I'm going to post anyway.

Virgin has called me twice now asking for me to pay about £10 per month for some kind of additional engineering oversight and 'phone support for my devices'. It's apparently a 'great deal' of some sort. The first time was about 'optimising my wifi', which I mentioned was ridiculous as I use the late-2015 superhub router in bridge mode into a high-end gigabit router & switched network, have CAT6 to every room, etc. I am pretty sure I know more about networking than any Virgin engineer. They called me again anyway, and wasted more of my time. I don't now, maybe it's a scam call but they seem to know me and say they are from Virgin.

To be clear: WHAT I WANT IS WHAT I'VE PAID FOR ALREADY. At 9:30am on a Thursday on my WIRED CONNECTION I'm seeing 200Mbps. Awesome. At peak times when I mostly use this service I'm seeing ~8-18mbps. I struggle to browse the *£$%@@ internet sometimes. I am paying >£50 per month for the worst broadband I've had since 2006.

I don't know why there's a forum here if nobody responds. I'm sure it's not directly the fault of the people actually managing it - who I'm sure are awesome and doing their best. If it's a support channel then Virgin needs to invest sufficiently to actually answer support requests.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi roosauce,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

I've run some checks on your broadband connection, the line and the hub have come back as fine which is good. However high peak time traffic in your area is causing the slow speeds you have been experiencing. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004227895 and with a review date of 30th November.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos