Menu
WhitakerM
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

200 Mb Broadband very slow

I have recently moved house and switched from Sky to the Virgin 200mb broadband. The engineer ran a speed test after installation and showed me a speed of 213Mb... However, this has now dropped to between 20 and 30 Mb (both during the day and the evening). Obviously this is not the speed I am paying for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200 Mb Broadband very slow

How recently is "recently"?  If it is less than 14 days, run away and don't look back.  

The fact that your speeds are slow during the day as well as the evening is something that might point to a fault other than the "fault" that almost everyone else on this forum at the moment is suffering, ie over-utilisation.  In other words, VM are trying to squeeze too many users onto their network, which simply doesn't have the capacity to service those users at the levels that they pay for.

Give the sub-continental call centre a ring and they will most likely want to check your router's levels and i hope, for your sake, that it is a faulty router or a simple attenuation problem that an engineer will be able to fix easily.  

Good luck and welcome to the club

WhitakerM
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply Greyman. Unfortunately it's over the 14 day period... more like 29. Hopefully it is a hardware fault, so it looks like I'm going to have to phone the call centre, and start jumping through the scripted hoops. I'm a bit miffed as my dad has the 100 Mb package and he gets 70 Mb... It makes you wonder why I'm paying for 200 Mb...

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How are you connected to the router, wifi or Ethernet cable ?

0 Kudos
WhitakerM
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm connected with an ethernet cable... unfortunately...

0 Kudos
WhitakerM
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've also tried a speed test through the wifi and get similar results, so at least my wifi is working ok...

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's probably worth posting your router signal stats here.
If you can wait about a week a member of staff should get to your message, and usually you will get better support then some of the scripted support you'll get from a call centre.

Also how are you testing your speeds?

0 Kudos
WhitakerM
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice Steve, hopefully a member of staff will see this.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do I find my router signal stats?

I've been testing my speed through www.speedtest.net.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi WhitakerM, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your 200Mbps broadband being slow, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I've run a few checks on your connection from here and I noticed that there's quite a few time outs inside the Hubs logs, I would like to arrange for this to be investigated further by one of our engineers for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Take care,

Thanks,

Adam. 

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos