Menu
crouchingtg
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

200 MB speed problem

Hello. I have an ASUS Z97-A motherboard which has up to 1gb/s and i have a 200mb pack

The problem is that i have only 100 mb on my local area connection. Can't get any higher. Drivers are up to date, network cable is cat6e and the router is hub 3.0.
What is there to do to reach 200mb? I don't think my motherboard is faulty because i had a weaker one in my country and i was reaching 500mb. Should i buy a PCI network card? Is ViMe 200mb/s internet speed restricted to any PCI newtwork card brand?
I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with the cable from outside the house? Maybe the hub from which is getting the signal is restricted to 100mb
Ps : I live in area 30 Lincoln
I don't want to pay for something that i cannot reach. Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200 MB speed problem

Hi crouchingtg,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are not achieving the up to 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

I appreciate the checks you have completed so far, however the speeds are still the same. On the PC/laptop that you mentioned, have you checked the duplex settings within the LAN options to see if there is a selection to change from 100 Mbps to 1 GB or was the device built with a 100 Mbps card? If you try a speed test on another device do the speeds differ at all?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
crouchingtg
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it has up to 1gb/s full duplex but when i select it, it won't connect to internet anymore

Also, i have bought a gigabit IE card and it's still the same. I have no other device to test it on but i trust that what i have now, is powerful enough to handle great speeds. I still think that it's a problem with the provider and not with my hardware. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Morning crouchingtg,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've taken a look at your connection and everything is showing as fine. I'm unable to see any issues on the network that would restrict your speeds.

On the PC what colour is the link light? Does it show green or amber?

I appreciate that you don't have another PC/laptop to hand, if you are able to get one for testing that would help us further.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
crouchingtg
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I do have 2 laptops but none of them capable to reach 1gb/s

My network LED is a blinking amber. I was thinking that maybe you may be sending 200mb/s but by the time it gets to the router it's only 100.

I do think a technician need to have a look at this.
Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi crouchingtg,

If the link light on the PC is showing as amber this can mean that it is syncing at a speed of 100 Mbps whilst a green light would suggest 1 GB. Looking at the devices connected to the Hub 3.0 it is showing a PC linked at 100 Mbps.

The router is currently locked onto 200 Mbps which is correct. I can see that you mentioned that the PC LAN card is linked at 100 Mbps is this still the same? Are you able to complete speed tests whilst the Hub 3.0 is in modem mode and the PC in Safe Mode with Networking please? This will eliminate other devices connected and any software issues on the device.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
crouchingtg
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Sam

I've put the hub into modem mode. I also booted in safe mode with network but i can't reach over 94mb/s in speed test. Color is still orange

Curious enough, when it's in modem mode, PCI gigabit card doesn't seem to work.  The one on the motherboard works fine. Also i have to mention that if i select 1gb full duplex on motherboard lan, it won't connect. I think i will downgrade my subscription to 100mb. Guess that 200mb is not for me
Thank you for all your help

0 Kudos
TechAde
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable between the PC & the SuperHub? It sounds like you might be using a cable which is not capable of 1Gbps so it's dropping back to 100Mbps.
0 Kudos
crouchingtg
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, not really but i tried something else. Bought a 600 powerline which in real life should handle 200mb. Both had a cat 5e network at the end. I still couldn't achieve more than 94mb in tests

0 Kudos
TechAde
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, for whatever reason your SuperHub is only connecting to your LAN @ 100Mbps.

I think you need to work out why you can't get a 1Gbps connection to your SuperHub, as that appears to be your problem.
0 Kudos