Menu
fireburst
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

2-6mb speeds on 50mb connection in Hemel Hempstead

Hi,

I'm having problems with my broadband and have tried contacting technical support about this, but end up on the phone for 45 minutes a time, promises are made that it will be looked into, then nothing comes of it. Infact last time I called I was hung up on after asking to be transferred to customer relations.

The problem i'm having is that the internet speed goes from 50mb during the day and deteriorates to 2-6mb (wired!) from 4pm onwards. This is unacceptable and basically unusable on Wi-Fi.

From the many other speed related issues expressed in this forum, I'm assuming that my area is congested and so this speed is to be expected. But why should anyone pay for "50mb internet" and receive 2-6mb when they actually want to use it (peak times!)?

Any advice on ways to help speed this up, or get the cost of this removed from my bill would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
fireburst
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2-6mb speeds on 50mb connection in Hemel Hempstead

I've just found this Ofcom code of practice that Virgin Media are signed up to:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/codes-of-practice

And it states:
"Under the voluntary code of practice on broadband speeds, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) agree to give clear information on broadband speeds to consumers when they consider or buy a home broadband service, and to provide redress when speeds performance is poor. Ofcom and ISPs have agreed a revised code which came into effect on 1st October 2015."

So how do I go about getting refunded for this poor service? And how on earth are Virgin Media allowed to advertise broadband services in these areas knowing full well that customers cannot attain the speeds they advertise?!

Jim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are having an issue with the broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

I'd like to help further and check the cause of this issue for you, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply and confirming your details, I appreciate it.

I have taken a look at your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing your slow speeds during the evenings. The reference number is F003487020 and with a review date of 28th December.

I will pass this onto one of my colleagues who will provide you will additional information.

Apologies for the delay and the inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos