Menu
Mhjohn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1mbps at area 21

I am on a 200mbps plan with fibre optic wiring. I use wirless network across all my devices. I have tried many ways to improve the situation since September last year but didn't have much success.

Methods tried:
- restarting router
- resetting router
- resetting devices
- forgetting and reconnecting wifi from each device
- run tests online to show any error
- run test on VM online profile to locate error

I have also tried to called VM troubleshoot services and was assisted on:
- resetting network
- sending extra signals to router
- configuring settings via IP address
- turning on and off router numerous times
- speed testing

I trust there are many more options that I tried in order to resolve this on-going and hopelessly frustrating issue. I called VM last November and was told that there are maintenance around the area causing the poor network. They informed me that it will last till February but I didnt push on the issue since my network had become stable for a few days despite the slow speed. And today I rang VM 5 times without ANY success. All they told me was that they couldnt do anything. I mean seriously, I pay £80 a month for fibre network and TV with 200mbps, and I get 1mbps everyday? If I wasn't tied to the contract I would've changed my network provided early summer last year! I would've been much better off with a 'stable' standard plan with any other companies! Not to mention I'd be paying MUCH less!

I am aware that this issue is not just a trouble of mine but also to others around the area. I'd just like to seriously address my situation as it seems other users are at least getting 5mbps. Nevertheless I cannot believe how VM seems to be getting postive feedback online while a bunch of users are experiencing such harsh and unbelievably disappointing services. Totally outrageous.
fatzone
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1mbps at area 21

Same problem for me

They told me a review date was due on 20 December. Then I got a message saying that review is now on 20 March 2017

I will just stop paying until I have got what I pay for

Mhjohn
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm on direct debit... would i get cut off all services if i stop paying lol
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't suggest that either of you do this unless you are not bothered about your credit rating.

Make a formal complaint to get a bill reduction but first you need your fault number so wait on this thread for one of the forum staff to reply and they will have more info for you.

0 Kudos
Hedge252
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I also want to make a formal complaint about the recent speed in area 21. Before Christmas I was getting about half speed on a 60mps contract. Then I lost the internet completly for six day. The engineer eventualy arrived and fitted a new (3) router and said the fault was with a filter that had been fitted to my old (2) router. Very slow to start with, then after a firmware update I got 60mps but only for one day and now I'm down to 4 or less. Numerous calls to the helpline get one of several responses - there is nothing wrong, reboot your router; there is an intermitant fault in your area which will be fixed soon or there is a service fault with a fix date of March 2017. Hopefully someone will give us a fault number soon and tell us what the problem is.

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The March date they have given you is NOT a fix date. I have had this issue since 2014 and its gotten worse over time with many dates given for "Review" with no improvement.

Speeds for me now are below 1Mbps at peak time so i am now looking into moving provider ASAP as no doubt Virgin is still signing up customers.

fatzone
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

speed still at 1mbps at peak time

they reduced my bill, but basically i cannot use internet at peak times

In my house I dont have a normal tv aerial cable (old tenant had virgin so I had to do the same thing and get virgin)

is there any other provider I can use for tv and broadband with the virgin kind of cables?

0 Kudos
Mhjohn
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How did u get them to reduce ur bills? Im still paying the normal price and receiving minimal unsatisfactory services.

About your question - many other network providers use BT landline, only virgin has its own landline. It's unlikely u'll be able to find another provider using the same line and even so, the speed will be the same. If you're really thinking about switching, I'd suggest you get a new line from anothee provider. They would make you do so when u sign a contract with them. Otherwise you dont get internet lol
0 Kudos
fatzone
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just called them and write to them and say I was not going to pay anything until they fixed it. you need to request a refund

thanks for your help in relation to my question. I guess I will switch provider if nothing is sorted by end of March, and im sure nothing will change

these people are useless

0 Kudos