Menu
Bradliam1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

152mbps to 5mbps from 4pm-11pm

http://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=e148ccfe0277f272391139fb4ed26119  . these are the speedtests  taken for around a month now, engineer came round to reduce power input to the modem but that didn't change anything. Speed drops happen nearly everyday. Normal configuration is virgin super hub in modem mode connected to wrt 1900ac router, with the testing pc connected by ethernet. I have tested by connecting my pc in safe mode directly to the modem with no change. I understand that the connection speed will drop during peak times, but a 96% drop in speed is ridiculous. I have also attached the latest speedtest taken at 10:22 pm, at this time the speed picks up slightly but is still awfull.Latest.PNG

Downstream.PNGCapture.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: 152mbps to 5mbps from 4pm-11pm

Hi Bradliam1, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know that you've been having some slow speeds issues for around a month, I apologies for any bother.

I've checked everything from this side and I noticed a very large number of T3 time outs inside the Hubs logs, in order to resolve this we would need to arrange for an engineer to visit and make the necessary adjustments.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, it would be helpful if you could reply to me there and I'll get this all booked in and secured for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
DanHoxton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am having a similar problem today after 1 year of excellent service.  My issue is only with the upload speed.  I have paid to have 12mbps upload (threshold goes down to 6mbps at peak times), but am only getting 3mbps today.  Occasionally speediest.net shows it at 10mbps but pretty much all day it has been below 3mbps without the download speed being affected.

Please could you tell me if this is my area (postcode E2 8JL) or a hardware issue or something else?

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 17.44.09.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-13 at 17.54.54.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-13 at 17.55.29.png

0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well, that's traffic management for you! There must be something on your network (one of the connected devices) that keeps uploading data and makes traffic management kick in.

It could be anything from P2P software to malware on an infected device...

DanHoxton
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've reset the wifi passwords, scanned connected computers for Malware and restarted them.  When will the traffic management reset?

0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

According to https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html they use a 120 minutes average, so it could take up to two hours. Also it's not clear if traffic management immediately stops at 11pm if you've been flagged for TM.
0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Other clue: if you don't have your full bandwidth before 11AM on a weekend or before 4PM on a week day, then it's another issue. Try tomorrow morning.
DanHoxton
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Now having the same problem with download speed.  But upload speed is still fair as you can see:

NowNowBeforeBefore

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi DanHoxton,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear you're suffering issues with the upload speeds, and also the download it appears more recently.  I'd like to try help with this.

I've run some initial diagnostics and it appears the power levels on the hub are out, both downstream and upstream.  This is likely causing all the problems you've been experiencing.  I'd like to get an engineer out to sort those for you.  I'll send you a PM (purple envelope, top right) so we can arrange a suitable time slot for a visit.

Drop me a reply when you get chance and I'll book something in asap.  Speak soon Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

DanHoxton
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Amazing. Thanks!

0 Kudos