Menu
swilkinson28
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

100mb Broadband drops to less than 15mb in the evenings?

I am signed up to 100mb broadband, which is what we get during the daytime, but come the evening we're lucky if we get 15mb? If this is a symptom of slow speeds at peak times and this is the norm, then I don't see what I'm paying for, as I'm at work from 7 until 5 and won't see the benefits. I've rang the Virgin operator, who ran me through reseting my router, which made no difference and was then put on hold for 30mins until the operator came back to tell me she didn't know what the problem was. If I'm paying for 100mb broadband, I expect to get 100mb broadband, regardless of what time of day it is and I certainly shouldn't be getting speeds less that 15mb.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 100mb Broadband drops to less than 15mb in the evenings?

Hey there swilkinson28,

Thanks for posting, welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're getting slow speeds, I know this is frustrating.

Are you using a wireless or hard-wired connection when you test the speed? Ideally we would need to see hard-wired results, if you don't have a cable let me know and I'll send one to you.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
swilkinson28
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am hard wired. I am getting 100mb throughout the day, then from 6pm until 11pm, my speed drops to 10mb and under. This is not a router problem, as Virgin have sent me two new ones in the past month and it's not a fault on the line, as Virgin have sent out technicians to have a look. The problem, as far as I can see from investigating online, is that Virgin are throttling the speed at peak times. From reading posts from other members on this forum, I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm not prepared to pay for a service that I'm not recieving and there is no improvement whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM do not throttle the speeds at peak times. this is due to usage in your area being high at peak times.
as for the service its upto 100 not 100 so technically you are getting the service.
0 Kudos
swilkinson28
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry my friend, but I don't consider 10mb and less, up to 100mb, not anywhere near close. It's an appalling service, that I will not be renewing. I'm also seeking legal advice on ending my contract early, as I'm sure Virgin are in breach of contract. It may say up to 100mb, but 10mb, peak times or not, is not up to 100mb.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya swilkinson28,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can understand how frustrating this is and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I would like to help as much as I can, however I was unable to locate your account to be able to check the network for any issues. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I will look into this further for you.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello swilkinson28

Thank you for getting back we have managed to identify your connection now. The line and hub look good however we do have a problem with high peak time traffic in the area I am afraid. We are already aware of it ref F005031587 and would like to carry out some upgrade work. Please accept our apologies, I will send you a forum private message to discuss further.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos