Menu
mveill1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1.5MBPS when I'm paying for 200

this is a joke; can anyone tell me what I need to do to cancel contract?

Consistenly testing at less than 2MBPS when I've just upgraded to 200 Fibre Vivid or whatever it's called. 

I can understand not getting max speed at peak times, but I could be getting better performance from a cheap plus.net connection. 

Helpful Answers
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 1.5MBPS when I'm paying for 200

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy

All Replies
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
la_familla
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'd be Livid! That ain't vivid!

00johnjohn00
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Same here in Gosport for over 3 years now been told they would be upgrading  and get told fake date when it might be resolved which just goes on and on and the service is down to to 4-6mgs now  and 10mgs  upload in the evening so its no gaming on the xbox intill after 12.30 at nite when the speed picks up again but even thats no where near what i pay for and I  work so can not stay up , some times in the evening even youtube like slide show and some times i think pluging in a piece of string in to socket i might get better connection that what do with virgin media broadband , ive phoned up the support so many times now and are on first name terms with some there and its not realy there fault as they only reading whats on the screen , and they also been as helpful as they can even sending me out new hub which made no diffrence and had couple of engineer visits which havant helped the problem , but the  problem lies with the utilisation  and over subscribing and the virgin media management not doing there job , ive been reading the forums on here and its all over the country and seems nothing realy getting done about it . its shame as ive been long term customer with virgin media and now bt infinity is here in my town finally going to make the switch to them in the next couple of days where im guaranteed 58 mgs to 80mgs 24/7 which suits me much better , I was paying virgin media for 100 mgs and they upgraded to 150 which i never get during the day it normaly maxs out at 75 mgs , but will be keeping the virgin media tv , and it all works out little bit cheaper than what ive been paying 

00johnjohn00
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

100 mgs

edited as doubled posted , sorry 

0 Kudos
Worthington
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There seems to be a confusion about MBps and Mbps. The first is megabytes per second which equals 8 megabits per second. The theoretical maximum for your line 200Mbps cable connection is 25MBps. I seldom see this on my Virgin line but on occasion actually achieve nearly 30MBps downloads.

It all depends on the server sending the files. Some, like Apple and Microsoft, will send data at the maximum your line is capable of. Others like the BBC, top out at a tenth of that. Also, after 12.00GMT when America wakes up, Internet speeds can slow dramatically. Similarly speeds drop when the kids come home from school or there's a football match being streamed to all the soccer supporters in your area.

Other things local to your computer will also have a huge effect on speeds: wireless connections are slower; router type, location and settings; distance from the router and quality of ethernet cables; software running in the foreground and background; the quality and speed of your computer. In the past, Apple OSX and *nix based operating systems were capable of faster throughput than Windows, I don't know about Windows 7 onwards.

0 Kudos
Acehighcooper
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Seems I've just joined the 1.5mbs club also. It's a frekkin joke when we pay so much and get ripped off by these bigs companies. It's probably going to cost me a fortune in phone bills just to speak to these people too.

Really starting to dislike virgin!

0 Kudos
mitschelUK
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Having just the same issue in the Area 21 / 200 Vivid. The Support in the Chat is absolutely unwilling to help.... (If you get them to pick the chat up....).

However - problem started already end of Nov. so I was already patient and gave them enough time to fix the issue. What I got now is a 20 pound Goodwill refund for both December and January together!! Thats just a joke if you are only able to use 5% of the booked bandwidth throughput. ETA of the fix...end of March. Just checking now how to get out of that contract just because of that ridiculous customer support. Never seen something like that.

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Same issue in EH14. Paying for 200mps which I get most mornings. But late afternoon and evenings it can drop to below 5 or 6mps. Was promised a fix by Nov 2016 but that failed to appear. Now told the latest fix is by 5th April 2017.

This "over utilisation" issue just seems to be ongoing. Getting £10 off next month but that does not make up for the slow speeds.

Unhappy customer.

0 Kudos