Menu
cheetah
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

wireless security

Can my neighbour on the other side of the wall in the block of flats were i live break into my wireless virginmedia ? 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: wireless security

Only if he's is a geek or you/someone else gave him the password.

Why not just change the password?

It's not simple for most people but as the password is on the label on the base of your box, any visitor could have noted it down, a simple change of password can stop than just note it down where no one else has access

hiya, if you log into hub via http://192.168.0.1 username:admin password:changeme clicking on attached devices, this will show all wifi connections to hub & wired connections

0 Kudos
Compbck
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have had complaints from several of my customers who have been charged additional fees by their ISPs for exceeding their broadband limits by large quantities, when they only use their systems for light email or adhoc surfing.

In all cases I changed their router passwords to something very long and strong with a combination of numbers letters and other characters.

The problem appears to have been resolved, as all users concerned are now well within their monthly allowance.

Unfortunately, it is not that difficult to access someone's WiFi password, especially a determine individual, and there are a number of software tools easily available on the Internet, but it can be made difficult for them to do so, if the router is locked down with a very strong password, that is likely to take a long time to break, and therefore deter the person attempting to do so from continuing.

0 Kudos
cheetah
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It would help if virgin media would allow us to see the password as we are creating it especially when is a very long strong password although i have written it down i want to see it as i am typing it.
0 Kudos