Menu
boltedenergy
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

vm media hubs set to share wifi with anonymous VM users

I received an email today from Virgin media saying all VM hubs are not accessible to the virgin media using public through a 'different virtual network'... how is this guaranteed to be secure and how will I know if someone has abused my broadband connection for illicit use?

--I'm just another virgin user like you. Please mark my answer as helpful, if it helped Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: vm media hubs set to share wifi with anonymous VM users

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

boltedenergy wrote:

I received an email today from Virgin media saying all VM hubs are not accessible to the virgin media using public through a 'different virtual network'... how is this guaranteed to be secure and how will I know if someone has abused my broadband connection for illicit use?

Very old news Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

boltedenergy wrote:

Do you mean the WiFi hot spot thing? Where your HUB will produce a separate public hot spot?

Its secure because its a different VLAN to your LAN, so there's no possibility of someone accessing LAN side. And no, there's no way to hold you liable for actions on a public VLAN, its up to VM how they log public access but they have to under the same legislation that tells them to log YOUR activities...

Likely MAC and location data if they are clever about it, but I haven't pulled apart the WiFi app to make an informed call on it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media starts turning customer routers into public Wi-Fi hotspots
100,000+ customers opted in by default, but Virgin says download speeds unaffected.

For now only Virgin Media customers with the latest Super Hub 3 (Hub 3.0) are being opted into the new public Wi-Fi service. Virgin is trialling an update to the older Super Hub 2ac routers, too. The ISP says it will add "hundreds of thousands" of hubs by "later this year."

Source: Ars Technica (UK)

0 Kudos