Menu
mrshoe22
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

scam emails in my name

My friend has received 3 scam emails with my name but knew from the look of them that they were not from me so she deleted them.  Has my email been hacked? 

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: scam emails in my name

mrshoe22 wrote:

My friend has received 3 scam emails with my name but knew from the look of them that they were not from me so she deleted them.  Has my email been hacked? 

Unlikely, i get scam emails from my own email address which is even more amusing.

The "from" and "reply to" addresses on emails are extremely easy to spoof due to how ancient the email system actually is, i could send you an email that claimed to come from Richard Branson at a legitimate looking domain without actually being him, but thats the joys of building on really old tech, there are ways to check legitimacy of email senders but they are rarely used due to them being easily out of date at any given time, sadly this is likely to remain unchanged as it would require entire portions of the email system to be changed and would require every single email sending server to be updated

tl;dr probably not hacked but rather spoofed, if you're paranoid then change your password

0 Kudos
mrshoe22
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: scam emails in my name

Good advice thanks

0 Kudos