Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7 (243 Views)

phishing emails from O2 and vodafone (view bill link)

[ Edited ]

Using virgin web mail on my ntlworld account (removed@ntlworld.com)  today I received two emails first from o2 second from vodafone asking to go to my bill via a link

I don't have accounts with either. Both had odd grammar. I   have posted to action fraud and virgin net report. How is my Ntl account being abused this way ? I did not click the link and deleted after forwarding body text to action fraud.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7 (215 Views)

Re: phishing emails from O2 and vodafone (view bill link)

[ Edited ]

Hi J0urney,

One port of call could be

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

where you can enter you email address and it will search to see if it was one of those compromised by one of the many well publicised corporate data breaches.

I had been surprised at the increasing amount of spam/scam mails that my main email account (a non VM address) was getting over the last 12-18 months. I recently checked on haveibeenpwned and it seems my address was one of those compromised when Dropbox suffered a security breach. Of course I use Dropbox so that probably explains my increasing levels of spam.

However, putting your email address on a public forum for all to see is an open invitation for scammers to add your address to their lists so say thank you to the mods for removing your address. Perhaps that's something for you to think about before you automatically assume it's a big bad corporate that lost your address to the scammers.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7 (184 Views)

Thanks for removing email name but surprised this is considered a public forum?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 7 (181 Views)

Of course it is a public forum. It is not closed to anyone. It is not just for VM customers. Lots of people have the expertise to help especially when software issues are involved where VM doesn't support. It is place where anyone can come and read the posts and respond provided they are registered (like you). The Forum rules make it clear that disclosing private information puts you at risk. Why not have a read:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGettingStarted

(end of page - 3 basic rules).

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 7 (174 Views)

Be aware that haveibeenpwned will only have info about leaks that are known about.  In fact, if you look at some of those leaks, it can be months to years between the date of the leak and the discovery Smiley Sad

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 7 (172 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am frankly not surprised that you have been sent phishing e-mails. If your NTLworld address is out in the wild then it could have been harvested by anyone at anytime and sold on for use in this way.  Just sending an e-mail to friends and family may put you at risk if their e-mail server gets hacked (like Yahoo's did in 2014). I have two e-mail accounts. One is in the public domain and I get this kind of rubbish all time. One is kept distinctly private and sees nothing like this at all.  That is the way the world works now. 

The authorities are inundated with reports like the one you made. There is little they can do. Most of the phishing attempts come from spammers in countries where the rule of law is minimal and spamming is a way of earning good money because it only needs a tiny percentage of people to respond and disclose their details for the spammers to attack their other accounts. 

You are obviously clued in well enough to spot a fake when you see one. That is your best defence against this type of thing. But also to remember that you wouldn't give away personal details to any Tom, Dick or Harry in the street - so don't do it on line. There really isn't one rule for the real world and one rule for the cyber world. The answer to your question didn't depend on you disclosing your full e-mail address anyway. Even if this this Forum was private I still wouldn't do it. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7 (138 Views)

Thanks

0 Kudos