Menu
pmgaults
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

my Blueyonder email has been hacked and I want it shut down immediately

I noticed that my email account has been hacked/security breach so I have stopped using this account.  It's been a right pain as I have had this email for over 20 years so have had to notify all my email contacts of my new email account.  I requested this blueyonder account to be shut down weeks ago (call centre overseas) and then again last week yet it's still open.  I only know this as I have had 'phishing emails' sent to my Hotmail account!

PLEASE VIRGIN MEDIA SHUT MY BLUEYONDER ACCOUNT DOWN WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT AND INFORM ME WHEN YOU HAVE DONE THIS.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: my Blueyonder email has been hacked and I want it shut down immediately

Hi pmgaults,

Welcome to the community though sorry it's bad news with your email address that's brought you here, to have your account hacked is alarming.

If it's your primary blueyonder email address that you want closed down then sorry we can do this, though simply not using it will mean it will automatically become inactive after 90 days of not being accessed.

If it's a secondary email account you should be able to sign into My VM and delete this through the 'Manage Profiles' option.

Either way it would probably be a good idea to follow the advice on securing your data in the support article here, notably that around changing both your email password and account security word.

Hope this helps.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

pmgaults
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the delay in responding.  I didn't get any notification!  I stopped using this account well over a year ago.  I signed in to my VM account and my email came up automatically and there were over 2000 emails, 95% spam but using my friends email addresses.

I don't understand why this account never shut down as I stopped using it over a year ago?  I have requested VM to help with this but here I am - still stuck with a hacked email address.  I do not use it anymore and want it gone. 

Please help!!

Rachel

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your email account will NOT get shutdown by the 90 day rule. This is because it's still be used! Of course you are not using it, but some is, so therefore no shutdown.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

pmgaults wrote:

Apologies for the delay in responding.  I didn't get any notification!  I stopped using this account well over a year ago.  I signed in to my VM account and my email came up automatically and there were over 2000 emails, 95% spam but using my friends email addresses.

I don't understand why this account never shut down as I stopped using it over a year ago?  I have requested VM to help with this but here I am - still stuck with a hacked email address.  I do not use it anymore and want it gone. 

Please help!!

Rachel

What evidence do you have that the account itself was compromised and that the email address wasn't just spoofed?

People do NOT need access to your email account in order to send email that claims to come from you with a reply address that will send replies back to your blue yonder inbox, trust me i get spam sent to me that claims to be from my own domains when i know the accounts are perfectly secure

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello pmgaults

I am sorry there are problems with the old account, perhaps what Shane said is correct that they are spoofed emails, either way best we take a look please. I will send you a forum private message to gather some more information.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team