Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 56 (119,507 Views)

funky clock scam

Received an invitation online supposedly from Virgin Media to complete a survey

for a free gift worth £75. At the end you are invited to chose your gift for £1 shipping

which you have to give your card details.

It's only at the very end (in small print) that  you learn its for a 3 day trial subscription after which

they will take £74 per month

I emailed

support@funkyclock.com

But Virgin Media should be aware.

Accepted Solutions
Community Lead
Message 17 of 56 (68,207 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by James_W (Community Lead)
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Re: funky clock scam

Hi

Thank you for your patience in waiting for a detailed response from us concerning this issue. Our security teams have been investigating and have come back to us with the following advice.

This issue is most  likely to be caused by browser extensions installed on a user’s device interacting with tracking cookies, whereby the extension looks at what sites a customer has visited, and then displays a pop-up survey which includes the name of one of those sites the customer has visited, in order to give the pop-up an air of authenticity/legitimacy.

This might give the impression that Virgin Media is responsible for the pop-up. It is not. The pop-up appears because of the browser extension.

Such browser extensions have been widely reported:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/online-surveys-center-virus-removal/ *

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-39691en.html *

http://www.easyremovevirus.com/how-to-remove-online-surveys-center-pop-up-ads-easy-remove-online-sur... *

http://www.safebro.com/online-surveys-center-virus-remove *

http://blog.mitechmate.com/get-rid-online-surveys-center-osc-popup-removal/ *

Virgin Media takes the security of its customers very seriously. In order to avoid such issues, we would recommend customers take steps to ensure that their internet browsing is safe and secure.

• Block pop-ups from untrusted sites

• Install only reputable software and be careful during installation not to agree to the installation of additional software or plug ins unless you are fully aware what they are and wish to install them

• Check to see if your device has a virusThe best way to do this is by using online virus scanners, a couple of good free ones are; eset.com/onlinescan  bitdefender.co.uk/scanner/online/free.html *

• Use your Internet Security package to remove the virusF-Secure SAFE is included free of charge for 12 months with your Virgin Broadband and this should get rid of most viruses. If you already use F-Secure SAFE, make sure "Viruses and spyware scanning" is turned on.If you don't have a security package installed you can get award winning internet security F-Secure SAFE by signing into your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and go to My Apps. Once downloaded and installed it will immediately run a scan of your device.

• Activate Web Safe In order to any avoid future infections it is recommended that you turn on Virus Safe, which is available as part of our free Web Safe service which can be found within My Virgin Media, Web Safe will help you block access to web sites known to be infected or distribute Malware. Full details can be found by signing in to your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia.

If you are unable to take these measures yourself we would suggest that you seek the advice of our Gadget Rescue**service or visit a local repair/upgrade shop/nationwide chain for a payable service to help secure your connection. For more information on how our Gadget Rescue service can help please call 0800 014 7398 or visit www.virginmedia.com/gadgetrescue.

For further advice about staying secure online, please visit http://www.getsafeonline.org/

Many thanks for your patience while we looked into this matter

James

* These links to external sites are provided as a courtesy and we are not responsible for the content of these sites or any problems encountered whilst applying these steps and we are not able to provide any technical support for such problems.

** Minimum system requirements and Acceptable Use Policy apply. Gadget Rescue is available on a monthly subscription basis (6 month minimum term applies) or as a "One-Off Fix" service. Gadget Rescue terms and conditions apply

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Joining in
Message 22 of 56 (19,880 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by egph

Funkyclock is not the only problem company. All the companies on these adverts is caused by Liam x (virus) adware which is not picked up by anti virus or malware systems. I was caught on this and the bank now blocked their accounts. I was advised to request a refund from each of the companies. This adware virus is from deal4real and ad.options and can take over your system and your ISP can notice this and close your email system down, as in my case.
Funkyclock also put gambling product on your CC bill so the bank can add a cash charge. In my case the £2.20 was refunded.

Superuser
Message 23 of 56 (19,843 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by egph

Liam X isn't actually a Virus.  It's a browser extension and is classified as Ad ware.

This Link provides information on how to get rid of it though.

http://malwarefixes.com/remove-liam-x-pop-hot-deals-ads/

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Joining in
Message 24 of 56 (19,802 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by egph

That is why I put virus in brackets.
I have tried some of the FREE solutions and they only removed half of the pop up adverts that soon recovered.
There are also many scams reputed to be Microsoft that will clear Liam x ranging from £125 to £350 plus software costs. At the moment my system is being cleared and reinstalled but still there is a file somewhere in Google Chrome.

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 56 (119,500 Views)

hiya @egph thanks for letting vm know, could you report this via http://netreport.virginmedia.com
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 56 (119,494 Views)

Done!
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 56 (118,988 Views)

just been ripped off for £74 and no free gift I didn't check my emails for a few days so never noticed this trial rubbish ,
Virgin should make people aware of this scam as this funkyclock.com have high jacked there site which I was signed onto when this happened and should therefore accept responsibility for this
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 56 (118,969 Views)

So what was the result of you Emailing supportfunkyclock.com?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 56 (118,971 Views)

I've fallen for the same spam about 6 hours ago but not yet had an email that I can respond to. I'm furious but what can I do to dtop payments going out of by account?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 56 (118,953 Views)

as its not a scam run by VM its hard for VM to do anything.

Contact your bank and report it as fraud.
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 56 (118,879 Views)

None of this is VM's fault - more "user error" for falling for something so blatantly obvious non legit
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Message 9 of 56 (118,854 Views)

Hi everyone,

Is this email spam or is it a pop up on the Virgin Media website?

Thanks,

Danni_M

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 56 (118,840 Views)

The 'survey' appears out of the blue.

0 Kudos