Menu
laa7
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

email from someone claiming to have my personal data in a .dot file

Today I got an email from a 'lawful person' claiming to have a huge amount of my personal data, obtained 'by mistake'. She quoted my home address and attached a .dot file supposedly containing my info. It had a four-digit password. It was alarming and looked like a scam so I didn't open it and deleted the message after photocopying it. Has anyone else received similar messages? I rang the police as I was robbed recently and some ID details could be used by robbers to try to build up more info. But I need to know if this is a general scam target virgin customers?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: email from someone claiming to have my personal data in a .dot file

Do any of you have a social media with your Virgin emails linked? If so it wouldn't be that hard to find that kind of info for you. I suggest checking if you are on any people search sites such as 192 and white pages and send in a removal request. Also, when sending off your electoral register ALWAYS make sure you are excluded from the edited register as that will prevent any third parties obtaining a copy.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Clearly a scam-

I wouldn't even try to open the attachment, I doubt it has any more information than is available publicly (if any at all). Its more likely to be a social engineering style thing, trying to panic you into opening the attachment which will then download some malware to your system

Report it, delete it ,forget about it.

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

It would appear that the attachment is a virus.

Google throws up a number of other examples:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=p2_bWKDqK9CLtge4_JmIBg#q=significant+ammount+of+data+on+you&n...

A couple of people refer to the personal information in the email (address format, mispelled name) matching that from a popular auction site.

Hope that helps

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
LUcyM2
Joining in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've received the same email today.

Here it is with the personal data removed:-

"I am bothering you for a very serious matter. Allhough you don't know me, but I have significant ammount of information concerning you. The matter is that, most likely mistakenly, the info of your account has been emailed to me.
For instance, your address is:
..........(removed)....

I am a lawful citizen, so I decided to warn may have been hacked. I attached the file - Child.dot that I received, that you could view what info has become obtainable for scammers. File password is - 6915

Sincerely,
Talitha Entriken"

For a start, the English and the spelling errors are highly suspicious. The address is an old one. I have therefore deleted and blocked the sender. What else should be done? Any ideas? Police?

Data possibly found from a website similar to www.whitepages.co.uk or http://www.192.com/ where they just need a name and city.

0 Kudos
laa7
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The wording is identical to mine incl the spelling mistake etc, Lucy. A different female name for the sender.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Do any of you have a social media with your Virgin emails linked? If so it wouldn't be that hard to find that kind of info for you. I suggest checking if you are on any people search sites such as 192 and white pages and send in a removal request. Also, when sending off your electoral register ALWAYS make sure you are excluded from the edited register as that will prevent any third parties obtaining a copy.

LUcyM2
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much. The linked bit I'll investigate. The whitepages and 192 and electoral register I'm reasonably savvy with.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Clearly a scam-

I wouldn't even try to open the attachment, I doubt it has any more information than is available publicly (if any at all). Its more likely to be a social engineering style thing, trying to panic you into opening the attachment which will then download some malware to your system

Report it, delete it ,forget about it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Lots of similar reports in the Security Forum. You could report it to VM via https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ but as it isn't directly related to VM account details a report to Action Fraud may be more appropriate.

https://reportlite.actionfraud.police.uk/
kevary
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I too received one of these yesterday and also concerned. I have tried to report it to virgin but as its not a Virgin IP address it wont let me. It was sent from a Orange account.

Text goes:

I am disturbing you for a very important occasion. Though you don't know me, but I have significant ammount of data on you. The thing is that, most likely by mistake, the data about your account has been sent to me.

am a lawful citizen, so I decided to prevent may have been hacked. I pinned the file - Shepherd.dot that was sent to me, that you could explore what information has become accessible for deceivers. Document password is -

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I too received an identical email.  I nearly fell for it because at the same time I received an email from my pet insurers confirming they had received all the details of my claim from the vet by email, so my first thought was 'oh no the vet has sent my details far and wide' LOL.   

The .dot file was the giveaway, there was no way I was going to open that little package.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

It would appear that the attachment is a virus.

Google throws up a number of other examples:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=p2_bWKDqK9CLtge4_JmIBg#q=significant+ammount+of+data+on+you&n...

A couple of people refer to the personal information in the email (address format, mispelled name) matching that from a popular auction site.

Hope that helps

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide