Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

beware: fake google emails (particularly new users)

Just a quick note as I nearly got caught out myself (after warning my brother's girlfirend, as she received one).  These fakes can be easily spotted as they use the old google logo in the top right hand corner.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: beware: fake google emails (particularly new users)

Hi MrHalfAsleep,

Thanks for the alert.

If you do receive emails (to your Virgin Media email address) with suspicious content, links or attachments or if the email seems to be from a non-legitimate source, then you can report this to our Security team on our netreport link. Just select the appropriate option in the "What kind of Internet security issue do you want to report?" drop down menu (Security enquiry/Phishing report in this instance) and submit the requested data.

For this particular issue this Google support page may be of help.

Thanks, and hope you wake up soon Smiley Tongue

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi MrHalfAsleep,

Thanks for the alert.

If you do receive emails (to your Virgin Media email address) with suspicious content, links or attachments or if the email seems to be from a non-legitimate source, then you can report this to our Security team on our netreport link. Just select the appropriate option in the "What kind of Internet security issue do you want to report?" drop down menu (Security enquiry/Phishing report in this instance) and submit the requested data.

For this particular issue this Google support page may be of help.

Thanks, and hope you wake up soon Smiley Tongue

Jen
Forum Team

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I'm only half asleep Jen (which is why I nearly got caught out)!   I posted the anecdote as I was accessing a webmail address (not my VM address) as the message was in the spam folder there, as a heads up.  Some of the fake samples I've seen on the Google support pages look really convincing.  I ended up deleting it anyway as it didn't even have a google.com reply address. It wasn't even a proper message, just a JPEG (photograph) image.  Man Indifferent At least they are aware of it...Smiley Happy

Pays not to be too complacent though.

Cheers

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos