Menu
Superfast
Message 1 of 12 (1,308 Views)

are these genuine Virgin calls?

Recently I've had some calls from an unknown number to my landline. They say they're Virgin.
mostly they say they have picked a problem with my router, but today they said I've got malicious software on my computer. (I can't remember the exact words, but something along those lines.)

My 1st thought was do i have a router? I have a Superhub3. I thought that was called a modem.
But my obvious worry...are these calls really Virgin? Or some kind of scam?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Message 5 of 12 (2,456 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by geriann
‎29-01-2017 23:33

Re: are these genuine Virgin calls?

Hi there geriann, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been receiving these calls. And I'd like to confirm that I've looked at the account notes, and can see no evidence at all that any member of staff has been trying to contact you regarding any security issues with your broadband connection.

Apologies once more.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12 (1,300 Views)

There seem to be quite a lot of scam calls along these lines at the moment.  They want to fool you into giving them access to your computer.

The Superhubs are actually a router and modem combined in the one box.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12 (1,275 Views)

it is a scam. you have ignored the 'router issue' so they are upping the ante by telling you there is malware/viruses etc on your pc.

ignore, they will give up eventually if you just put the phone down.

Superuser
Message 4 of 12 (1,272 Views)

Intuition tells me these calls are a variant of the scam calls from the past where people have previously called to tell you of a "problem" on your PC.

Virgin would normally log outbound calls on your account, so I would ring off and check with Customer services on 150 (from a VM landline or mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other line).

For their own part Virgin send out letters via snail mail advising of any security issues, although they do also use texts for certain issues.

One of the Forum Team should drop by to advise.  @ModTeam - can you assist?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Message 5 of 12 (2,457 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by geriann
‎29-01-2017 23:33

Hi there geriann, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been receiving these calls. And I'd like to confirm that I've looked at the account notes, and can see no evidence at all that any member of staff has been trying to contact you regarding any security issues with your broadband connection.

Apologies once more.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Superfast
Message 6 of 12 (1,224 Views)

"a variant of the scam calls from the past where people have previously called to tell you of a "problem" on your PC."

Yeah I was guessing that too.
Thanks guys. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 7 of 12 (1,125 Views)

today i had a call from Virgin Media...just like above...saying there's a problem with my router.
i know it's a scam, so i hung up.
i called 1471, it was an anonymous number.

recently i've had several calls from "BT" or "your internet provider" saying there's a problem with my computer/internet. just like when they say they're Windows or Microsoft. i know they're all scams, but is there any way of stopping them?
i also get silent calls. is there any way of stopping them?

i've heard some phone providers give their customers a free call blocker thingy for their landline. do Virgin?

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 8 of 12 (1,092 Views)

I've also had a few calls wanting to "optimise my broadband".
is that a genuine Virgin Media phone call?
The call was from 0800 1836408.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 12 (1,082 Views)

@geriann

I've responded to that query in the other thread.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12 (1,053 Views)

I've just had a call from 0800 1836408 today.  I have caller display and I make a habit of never picking up the phone if it is a number I don’t recognise.  If it is someone genuinely trying to get in touch with me they always have the option of leaving me a message. If no message is left I am immediately suspicious that the call is a scam or someone trying to sell me something. I found this thread by typing the number into Google.

0 Kudos