antivvirus

what is the best free antivirus and scan to use for my computer

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: antivvirus

Try Sophos. You have probably never heard of them, but their business offerings are very good. Used by most London schools.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft Security Essentials

MS Link

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You also need a free anti Walmart, try malwarebytes, I've used it for a few years.

As with antivirus, you need to regularly update and run to ensure you stay clean.
It becomes much mor important if you use the PC for banking other sensitive stuff, in that case I would (and do) update and run every day the PC is switched on for anything important
0 Kudos
Compbck
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The best kind of computer security is a multi-platform system, which means having a combination of compatible security programs.

I use a combination security kit (All FREE!) comprising of Panda Anti-virus 17.0.1, Panda Cloud Cleaner, Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes-Anti-Exploit.

All the above live happily together and to date I have never had an issue with infections, however, I am particularly security minded, and try my utmost to train my customers to be like-minded.

omendata
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No single AV is the best you need multiple av's scan on demand.

Safe browsing and learning how to navigate the internet is probably going to help you more than modern AV especially learning to use email headers properly.

There are many ways to lock your system down such as disabling windows scripting , javascript , wscript , closing down certain services like workstation , server , browser , upnp etc etc etc

Locking down your registry keys like hklm/run keys , browser keys but it takes a long time and considerable expertise.

Sophos , Kaspersky, Panda and Clamav are a good start.

You can have them all running in the background though so best to choose just one for that role.

Malwarebytes, spywareblaster and other antisypware progs are also essential and i would download a few rootkit detectors as well like Icesword , rootkitrevealer etc.

0 Kudos