Menu
beckianne1987
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

account disclosure

can virgin media discuss my account with another person even though they are not the account holder ? and can they access other peoples account use their number to contact myself ?
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: account disclosure

beckianne1987 wrote:
can virgin media discuss my account with another person even though they are not the account holder ? and can they access other peoples account use their number to contact myself ?

In theory no, in practice, if anyone knows your account details nd the password you used to create it and sound the same gender as you then yes, VM will assume its you and will discuss your account with them, they have very limited ways of finding out if the person on the phone is you or not

Unless you can pass the DPA checks or are a police/legal official with a court order/warrant they won't discuss your account with anyone else

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

when i used to work for virginmedia, sometimes if i felt this wasn't the person would ask the person other security question (not going to mention what those were), a 3rd party could speak on your behalf, e.g. once security has been passed by yourself you can pass the phone to who ever you want.. just best to advise the agent first. they can speak on your behalf.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

beckianne1987 wrote:

Regarding the latter question, I would raise this with the Information Commissionaire's Office (ICO) to ascertain whether or not Virgin Media have breached the Data Protection Act and, if so, what course of action is available to you; ICO's contact page is here.

0 Kudos