Menu
paul652
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your personal data could be at risk! Letter from virgin

Hi, today I have received a letter in the post saying my personal information is at risk.

It says to go to virginmedia.com/mdns to resolve it. They are asking me to block port 5353 is this a legit letter from virgin. thanks 

0 Kudos
pcmanbob
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Your personal data could be at risk! Letter from virgin

Hi.

A quick google search for virginmedia.com/mdns lead me to this page.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

so yes it looks like virgin are sending out letters regarding multicast DNS vulnerabilities

paul652
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for replying. I spoke to virgin but they was not helpful and didn't seem to understand what i was talking about.

I do not know how to block the ports and when i click on fire wall settings it doesn't give me the option to set protection to medium, so i am a little confused.

Firewall settings are 

Firewall protection - enabled

Block fragmented IP packets - not enabled

Port scan detection - enabled

IP flood detection - enabled

0 Kudos
monkehfu
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had exactly the same letter. Ironically though:

5353 UDP
For internal network communication between multiple TiVo boxes, TiVo Desktop software, and other TiVo applications, this port should be unrestricted within home network.

5353 is also used by AirPlay, Bonjour, AppleTV.

Odd setting in the VM SH2 firewall - Multicast Pass-Through, mine is switched off.

If you scan for port 5353 https://www.grc.com/port_5353.htm then probe it, it should show as closed.
0 Kudos
monkehfu
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=12483&CONFIGUR...

Amusingly, you can't do anything at port level with the default VM SH firewall. It's to simplistic to actually manage ports individually at firewall level, meaning having to set port forwarding up for EVERYTHING.

I have 21 devices on my network. Headache.
Add to this that setting on the SH aren't stable and can be lost at anytime via crashes, updates or VM instructions.
0 Kudos
paul652
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help, I just followed the link and 5353 is showing up as closed.

Virgin on the phone were useless lol they didnt know anything and kept saying i received a scam email, even though I said it was letter, really confusing.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WildWayz
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just got my letter too. Instructions on the website for configuring the router to block the port are totally wrong for the SH3.

5353 is used by Apple. I have only one Apple device - my works iPhone 5S which doesn't have any non-work software on it.

I run Malware Bytes Pro and Bitdefender. Likelihood of my pc being infected? Zero.

Another device on the network? Zero.

GRC shows the port as closed.

0 Kudos
monkehfu
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

GRC only searched TCP not UDP.
0 Kudos
dizwod
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I keep getting these letters through and have the port blocked.

Nothing new on my setup and only thing i can think which could be sending these are my NAS or my android Kodi box. both f which the port is blocked for.

I alsop rang virgin and they were not helpful as had no idea about the letter, couldnt tell me what device it was as all comes from the routers IP, butas its now blocked im hoping these letters stopped

0 Kudos