Menu
WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Your financial transactions and personal data could be at risk

I have received a letter reference VMIS12 OFFNETSPAM-F004108220 saying that my email address has been identified as sending spam.

From time to time I get Delivery Status Notifications from mailer-daemon suggesting mails cannot be delivered and in the past I assumed this was due to my email address being used as the "Sent from" field in an email.  I have no evidence that my virgin media email has been compromised - the email account which is listed in the letter is not the one I use to log on to Virgin Media - and there is nothing odd in my sent items.  I have changed my password though.  On calling 150, the tech support person could not assist me in identifying what the precise problem is.

Can someone check whether the letter is due to someone reporting spam being sent using my email as the from field, or actually from my account?

The last undeliverable email notification I received has an X-Originating-IP of 103.53.167.155 which appears to be in India,undeliverable1.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Your financial transactions and personal data could be at risk

Hi WKeith,

Thanks for getting in touch, I can understand that receiving one of these letters from the Security Team can be concerning, I've just been checking on the letter that was sent and we can see that the blueyonder email addresses mentioned sent a batch of spam emails on the 17th of December.

From our SMTP logs we see that an authenticated login occurred originating from a Vietnamese IP address. As this isn't you perhaps someone has guessed your password or harvested it from an infected or non secure device on your home network.

As you have changed the password already hopefully this will have resolved any further problems, though double checking all devices on your network are secure would also be an idea, along with checking for any rules or mail forwarding options set up in webmail for the email account noted.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ralph - why don't these spam emails appear in my sent items/deleted items?

0 Kudos
WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ralph

I am also confused as to why the spammer would be identified as using an email address that is different from the one used to log in to my account - can you explain that?

Regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for Virgin but I do understand a little about the email service.

I'll answer the easy question first.

Why don't the mails show up in your sent folder.

Mails sent via SMTP don't get stored in the sent folder online automatically with most email services.  Where people use IMAP to read their mails, this copies the sent mail on your PC to the Sent mail folder on the server, so the two are in sync.

And as for the second one.  Assuming the address they've used is an alias of your main address, then the pop3, smtp and imap servers will allow the alias to be used in place of the main account username.  (I've just confirmed this with an alias of my own main blueyonder account)

Note they can't access my.virginmedia.com though as this needs to use the main email address.  But if you haven't done so already you MUST go to my.virginmedia.com and change your main account password.  By going into the My Profile section.

Ravenstar68 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ravenstar68 - that makes it a bit clearer - would be helpful if Virgin Media were able to explain this kind of detail on the 150 number.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

WKeith wrote:

Thanks ravenstar68 - that makes it a bit clearer - would be helpful if Virgin Media were able to explain this kind of detail on the 150 number.

Cheers

I actually agree with you.  Unfortunately first line appear to rely on troubleshooting flowcharts rather than actual technical knowledge in most instances, in my opinion.

Considering when Virgin messed up the email access lists causing all connection attempts from mobiles to be rejected for a few hours, last year the response I got from 150 at the time was laughable.  "Maybe it's because the mobile network is busy!" - I have little faith in 150 having technical know how.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
Today I received a large number of undeliverable notifications.  Could you check if my account is still sending spam, or if it is just being used as a sent from, which is what it looks like from the content of the undeliverable notifications.   It looks like the mails are targeting people I have received mails from, as I am also getting a lot of responses from "send only" addresses".  I have changed my password again.
regards

keith guthrie
0 Kudos
WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Today I received a large number of undeliverable notifications. Could you check if my account is still sending spam, or if it is just being used as a sent from, which is what it looks like from the content of the undeliverable notifications. It looks like the mails are targeting people I have received mails from, as I am also getting a lot of responses from "send only" addresses". I have changed my password again.
regards

keith guthrie

0 Kudos
WKeith
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ralph - will you be able to check if my account was used again?

I have scanned all the PC's I use with my mail client and all have come up clean with 3 different scanning tools

Cheers

0 Kudos