Menu
Highlighted
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: You have been infected by wannacry (email from Virgin)

VM got a mention in this article from The Register http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/19/wannacrypt_warning_email_confusion/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I love how people go on and mention port 445 - incidentally, Virgin used to block it and the rest of the NETBIOS trio - until user pressure made them rethink this. Something along the lines of "I pay for access to the whole internet." as I recall.

445 is how the worm spreads internally once it gets onto a LAN, but more often than not it enters the LAN through other means like an infected email.

But the wannacry worm tries communicating with a specific URI over HTTP so it's easy for the security researchers to log traffic hitting the website.  But it does mean that people who visit the site out of curiosity end up getting a well-intentioned letter as a result.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
LokiDog
Superfast
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I received a letter today saying a device on my network may be infected with wannacry.
None are.

I did visit the kill switch website the security guy purchased out of curiosity, so that clears it up.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When wannacry requests the kill switch domain the HTTP request header lacks the user-agent field; according to Cisco Umbrella | Blog. You may wish to query the report made to Virgin Media by Shadowserver to see if they filtered out such requests from their reports.

0 Kudos
LokiDog
Superfast
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm assuming they just have a list of IP addresses that have visited.
0 Kudos