Menu
Samaru
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why do they need a password over the phone/chat??

I find the fact that they require our passwords over the phone to authenticate these rather BASIC requests extremely demeaning and very unprofessional. Everything in society has built Passwords as a 100% confidential information, and the act of giving one out online is akin to talking to strangers as a kid.

It's quite frustrating that they don't have an alternative method that allows us to get these very simple changes done without us having to reveal our confidential information to someone. I can't imagine how many VirginMedia hoaxes there must be out there, all they have to do is ask for your password and BOOM they have access to lots of your data, convincing enough because everyone would feel that's what we are required to do when talking to the real Virgin Media services.

I hope they change this.

0 Kudos
Matt1959
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do they need a password over the phone/chat??

I think theres 2 different passwords at play? one for email account access and one for telephone discussions about a users account?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

yes, & it would be helpful if they named them more clearly - call the phone one a pass phrase or pass code or security word ( I am not sure if it stll has to be a single word, or if it can be longer). less chance then of someone giving their master email / account password to a shifty agent who could pas it on to criminals

mine telephone thing is  a "word" but that goes way back to telewest days and methods

perhaps a superuser or staff could update us on max length and what characers are now allowed. can it be a whole phrase?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

They are different http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Password-Policy-RIDICULOUS/m-p/30290...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As Ben says, they are completely different.

The Security word / Memorable word is used so our teams know it's you that they are talking to.

Your My Virgin Media account / email password is not used for this purpose, and is not visible to our teams.

Hope that clears things up.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

that would all be good if the outbound callers asked for letters from your " memorable word" or "security word"  but AFAIK they still ask for ( characters from ) your password

can the scripts be checked and changed if needed

ditto for the automated front end when you call 150, i did that recenlty and had to tap phone keys but I forget the phraseology used nby the " we need to be sure its you" computer voice

can you also confirm the rules for memorable word please: is is a single word, is it case sensitive, what characters ae alloed, how long can it be....

0 Kudos
PaulMoore
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Passwords are shared secrets.  They are the keys to the kingdom, as it were... and should be handled appropriately.  Anyone with knowledge of it can change your email password in a matter of seconds; negating the benefits of even the strongest of email password.

VM know this, yet continue to cold-call from foreign call centres and ask for the full account password "for verification purposes"... it's principle flawed & laughably insecure.

"The Security word / Memorable word is used so our teams know it's you that they are talking to."

That describes virtually every e-authentication process on the web... it's not necessary to store passwords in plain there, and it shouldn't be necessary here.  What's wrong with the agent entering the password provided by the customer? It doesn't need to be presented to the agent and apart from a slightly slower user experience (always the enemy of security), it's undoubtedly more secure.

Samaru
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So I just got notified TODAY that people actually replied to this... Congrats. And I also had to reset my password to login to reply, fun.

So if they are separate, why can I not remember every being asked to set a passcode, and where can I change it. I think it is my password at the moment.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Changing a password that pre date Virgin is a sound action you should consider a three monthly password change regime to protect you. One thing that does is highlight any rarely used account that may be compromised.
0 Kudos
PaulMoore
Superfast
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Arbitrary and forced password changes weaken security J0hn.

Only change passwords if they're weak or compromised.