Menu
mfldavsion
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media keep calling us, why

Someone from Virgin Media (0800 408 9340) keeps calling my wife's mobile number, they want to talk to me but want to take me through security, at which point I terminate the call, it is unsolicited so I am not giving them any security details.  The call is unsolicited, the number they have is my wife's, not sure how they got it, it is not on Virgin Mobile.  I can only assume that we gave it at some time to allow the engineer to arrange a call.  Why don't they call my Virgin Media landline number.  I have to,d them to stop calling, but they still call and are now becoming a nuisance.  I can't see anywhere that I can update our contact number on the website.  I can't find an email address to write to them.  The phone system is useless it has no relevant button presses and when I press various numbers I am told it is a 30 min wait to speak to anyone, almost certainly the wrong person.  I have now blocked this number from my wife's phone. 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media keep calling us, why

Your wife's phone may have a call bar option, on android phones its normally
Open the dealer, click settings (3 dots top right). Choose. Blocked contacts, tap the + sign, add the number
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

See this post, Re: Calls from 0800 408 9340.

You can contact Virgin Media by any of the method list here Contact Us, see below.
2016-10-29-00.jpeg
IMHO, write to  Data Protection & Privacy, Virgin Media, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UP and issue then with a notice under the Data Protection Act 1998 not to processes your personal information for direct marketing. A template letter is available here, Junk Mail

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi mfldavsion, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are receiving unwanted calls from us. Smiley Sad

I've gone into your account and changed your marketing preferences to No Contact so this will stop any calls you are getting from us. It will also stop any emails, addressed marketing and texts from us too.

It can take up to 6 weeks for things to completely stop but you should see it reduce as time goes on. 

If you have any further issues, come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For information only.

According to the ico, 

The Act says that you should stop processing for direct marketing purposes within a reasonable period. When considering whether you have done so, we take into account that a particular marketing campaign might already be underway when you receive a notice, and that the individual may subsequently receive further marketing material. However, we expect that in normal circumstances electronic communications should stop within 28 days of receiving the notice, and postal communications should stop within two months.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/preventing-direct-m...

Six weeks is over what is required to cease electronic communication, but less than what is required for postal communication. VM seem to be getting it half right.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
mfldavsion
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kath

Thanks, but once again VM called my wife mobile number, today, ,despite your assurance that her number has been removed, but you still call! You have not made a meaning full response to my letter dated 30 Oct, despite your letter dated 8 November.

How would you feel if they someone asked you to stop calling and they ignored a written formal request to STOP CALLING.

STOP CALLING it is HARASSMENT

Annoyed yes, very justified YES

I would use more meaningful expletives if I could!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi mfldavison

Thanks for getting back to us about the no contact preferences.

Kath did make sure the preferences were updated when you spoke to her earlier in November but she also advised that this can take up to 6 weeks to completely stop as marketing and sales may have details assigned to pre planned calls.

This means they don't access the account to call you but your details may be on our outbound lists for up to 6 weeks after they have been updated on our account as 'No Contact'

Please accept our apologies for the concern this is causing you. If the calls do not cease by the middle of December we can then escalate this on your behalf.

Alternatively you can also contact our Webchat teams, or via phone on 150 or 0345 454 1111 in order to remove that contact number from the contacts screen. We do still hold details when the system reflects that this is 'No Contact' for billing or fault related purposes, and the 'No Contact' options mean that the preferences for calling you for anything other than these reasons are removed.

Keep us posted on how this goes and if we can help with anything else, just give us a shout.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"