Menu
sarahloou
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media phone scams BEWARE

Just had a phonecall from an Indian call centre (0800 408 9340) claiming to be from Virgin Media offering me special deals and asking how many and what devices I had connected to my wifi.

Sounded dodgy so I did a bit of digging and it's a scam. Best to hang up and block the number.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media phone scams BEWARE

That's one of Virgin Media's known marketing numbers, so it's not a scam, but more of an annoyance. If you don't want to receive sales calls, ring 150 from Virgin phone or 0345 454 1111 from any phone and ask to be opted out of marketing calls (it opts out of postal marketing etc too.) The opt out takes 6 weeks to complete.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
sarahloou
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Really? Crike, there's a LOT of info online about that number being a scam, including people saying the caller went on to ask for their bank details (which has scam written all over it). 

Easier for me to block the number on my phone, I think Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

sarahloou wrote:

Really? Crike, there's a LOT of info online about that number being a scam, including people saying the caller went on to ask for their bank details (which has scam written all over it). 
People when they receive calls from people who sound remotely Indian with weak signal on the line and are asked you about deals automatically assume 'Indian scammer, hang up, scammer'. Before looking into the fact they are opted into marketing calls from their chosen company. Virgin Media have their outbound retention teams based offshore, which is the team that called you. So they go online and declare the number a scam and everyone just accepts their rushed feedback.

If they just did a quick search they'd find posts like this, link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone/Calls-from-0800-408-9340/m-p/3008440#M76966

Easier for me to block the number on my phone, I think Smiley Happy 

That's definitely an option, but VM's outbound retention team are known for calling you on any number they have on file for you. Landline or mobile, so it's best to opt out of marketing in general so to avoid having to put blocks in place on all of your phones.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
sarahloou
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shelke Smiley Happy
0 Kudos