Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8 (198 Views)

Virgin Media WiFi is Opt In by default

Hi all,
I've recently signed up to Virgin broadband, and just found out about this:
https://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2017/04/virgin-media-wifi-public-hotspots/
http://www.virginmedia.com/virginmediawifi

If you go to your Profile settings, you will notice that by default users are Opted In to
Virgin Media WiFi.
It is unacceptable for Virgin to make this a default option for new users. Regardless of what the promo says, it is still a security risk allowing anyone from the public access to your home router, and it should be an Opt Out option by default.

Virgin, please fix this.

Regards,

PS Why is there no way to contact Virgin Media by e-mail for complaints? The online service is not available 24/7 and a customer support e-mail should not be that hard to find.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8 (189 Views)

Re: Virgin Media WiFi is Opt In by default

Rubbish, please virgin keep it the way it is, 99% of normal people will see the advantages of this

Joining in
Message 3 of 8 (184 Views)

Then at least ask the normal people when they first activate their broadband, whether they want the service on or off.
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8 (169 Views)

[ Edited ]

dimitris wrote:
Hi all,
I've recently signed up to Virgin broadband, and just found out about this:
https://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2017/04/virgin-media-wifi-public-hotspots/
http://www.virginmedia.com/virginmediawifi

If you go to your Profile settings, you will notice that by default users are Opted In to
Virgin Media WiFi.
It is unacceptable for Virgin to make this a default option for new users. Regardless of what the promo says, it is still a security risk allowing anyone from the public access to your home router, and it should be an Opt Out option by default.

Virgin, please fix this.

Regards,

PS Why is there no way to contact Virgin Media by e-mail for complaints? The online service is not available 24/7 and a customer support e-mail should not be that hard to find.

Its using a completely different SSID with a completely different IP, it doesn't have access to even the router login page let alone the ability to change any settings, it even has its own connection and won't impact your use at all, no point having it opt out by default because nobody would opt in due to them not understanding how it actually works

"PS Why is there no way to contact Virgin Media by e-mail for complaints? The online service is not available 24/7 and a customer support e-mail should not be that hard to find."

Cant find what doesn't exist

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8 (149 Views)

shanematthews wrote:

Its using a completely different SSID with a completely different IP, it doesn't have access to even the router login page let alone the ability to change any settings, it even has its own connection and won't impact your use at all, no point having it opt out by default because nobody would opt in due to them not understanding how it actually works

Defaults are powerful influencer when it come to participation (coupled with cognitive laziness) and Virgin Media's decision to opt-in by default was likely due to this rather than other factors.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 8 (78 Views)

dimitris wrote:
it is still a security risk allowing anyone from the public access to your home router, and it should be an Opt Out option by default.

It is NOT available to the general public, it can only be accessed by other VM customers using the VM Wi-Fi app.

JohnD
Strangely strange but oddly normal.
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8 (59 Views)

[ Edited ]

I agree, also if you live in an area with slow connections, anyone who uses you wifi, will eat into this bandwidth and slow you down even further.  Is there a cap on the download speed and amount of data the Wifi app can use ?

I am not a white Hat Hacker, nor a Black Hat Hacker, more 50 shades of Grey
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8 (13 Views)

I suppose this lovely feature was hidden very well in an 'accepted' t&c somewhere?

Aside from a very non informative email saying my device is now apart of the scheme, I had never heard of it, agreed to it or wanted to be part of the scheme.

to anyone defending this behaviour, you need to get your head checked... i.e can you imagine if you mobile provider told you without you agreeing that other people can share your phone for making calls and internet roaming? again I don't think anyone who doesn't like being taken advantage of would agree to that!! I rest my case considering its opt-out at first behaviour.

--I'm just another virgin user like you. Please mark my answer as helpful, if it helped Smiley Happy