Menu
Paul643
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Limited alerted due to suspicious activity

Hi all, I've got a laptop with mcafee, up to date copy of Mcafee, installed. Keep getting unwanted pop up adverts on chrome and now the message written in the subject line.

It goes on to say virus found. We need to suspend your account until we speak. Windows 10 defender halted your activity. Call immediately toll free (011) 4303 1706.

I'm non technical but don't believe this message is from or on behalf of Virgin Media. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I should do about it.

This is my sons laptop for school work and I need to make sure it is safe and clean so he can access his work.

Thanks all in advance. Paul

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Limited alerted due to suspicious activity

sounds like malware to me. download malware bytes. the pop ups and the fake windows defender notification will be part of that.

don't phone the number. they will ask to remotely connect to the pc. they go through a set routine of getting event viewer up which lists normal pc errors and say they are viruses, they then type in a text file the cost to sort it out ie hundreds of pounds. they will then either download free software such as cc cleaner and or put a keylogging device on the pc empty the bank account used to pay for the 'service'.

without getting your son into trouble these kind of pop ups are usually the result of using p2p websites/torrents (for illegally downloading films, tv shows, software or music) or even adult material.

apart from malware bytes, do a full virus check using mcafee and on a browser type into google 'housecall trendmircro'. this is a free online virus/malware check. that found something on my pc once when my antivirus didn't.
Paul643
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Limited alerted due to suspicious activity

Thanks James. I thought it might be something like that. Will try it this evening. Paul