Menu
Woodchuck2000
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a virus

Hi there,

I received a slightly alarmist e-mail from you this morning with the subject "Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a virus". You claim to have been notified of malicious traffic coming from my IP address, but there's no detail whatsoever and no way to request more information.

Please could you clarify what you mean by "malicious traffic"? How can I find out more information, for example the MAC address of the device which you have flagged as malicious?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a virus

Woodchuck2000 wrote:

Hi there,

I received a slightly alarmist e-mail from you this morning with the subject "Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a virus". You claim to have been notified of malicious traffic coming from my IP address, but there's no detail whatsoever and no way to request more information.

Please could you clarify what you mean by "malicious traffic"? How can I find out more information, for example the MAC address of the device which you have flagged as malicious?

Many thanks.

They are unlikely to have the MAC of the device in question, most of these tests are done by a company that just tries to check for open ports to known malicious services and will advise VM that there might be an issue, i wouldn't click any links in the email just to be sure, make sure you don't have anything in the DMZ and that you give any machines a once over with an AV product and something like malwarebytes

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

that title suggests a scam email to me, not a genuine from VM.

I have not heard the term "malicious traffic" in other posts about security warnings

and having a virus,  vs generating malicious traffic - those are 2 different things. 

what are they asking you to do: phone a number, install something...

perhaps you should post the entire email here, ( just remove your address) for better feedback.

include the sender address and the email headers if you can

If it is genuine - and a forum search suggests it may be - then note that a "device" is anything with wifi capability. Some infections target devices like baby monitors, security cameras....where the default password has never been changed, with the aim of turning them into 'bots

your PCs may be clean and well protected but what else do you have ?

Woodchuck2000
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both, the e-mail was certainly believable - it was trying to get me to purchase F-Safe Antivirus from Virgin, so there's a chance it's pure marketing. Somehow I've managed to lose the e-mail and so can't post the whole text.Smiley Indifferent

My devices are all pretty well protected. I have a Raspberry Pi acting as an OpenVPN server. If it's just a case that somebody has noticed some open ports as @shanematthews suggests, then I'll ignore it.

I have a few IoT devices though, so there's a non-zero chance that I have a compromised device. If they've genuinely noticed something worrying, I'd appreciate enough information to actually investigate! I might reconfigure things and move any non-trusted devices onto a separate network which I can observe more easily...

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos