Menu
Highlighted
Community Lead
Message 21 of 35 (205 Views)

Re: VM & Google

This was escalated a while ago now.

I'm told that it should be all fixed by the end of this month.

Apologies for the delay.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 22 of 35 (195 Views)

Eyghon_VMSF wrote:

Well according the guy that has just been on the phone these Forums are NOT for reporting issues and are purely User to User help Forums!

A great deal of support on this Forum does come from other users.  BUT Virgin Media do have an active staff presence on here and do relay issues to the relevant departments.

James_W, the Forum Moderators, AND the Forum Team are all employees of Virgin Media, and they do book tech visits, pass on email issues and more.  So the person you spoke to on phone support is feeding you rubbish (Not the first time they've fed people rubbish either) @James_W someone needs to have a word with them.

However, while I like to see things working properly, if there is an alternative way to get what I want, I do use that instead.  So I honestly think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Wise owl
Message 23 of 35 (194 Views)

Eyghon_VMSF wrote:

Well according the guy that has just been on the phone these Forums are NOT for reporting issues and are purely User to User help Forums!

Not strictly true, see here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Forum-Support-from-March-22nd/m-p/28556/highlight/...

Good News! From March 22nd we'll be expanding the range of support we can offer via the forums, adding to the support already available from the forum community. We're quite excited to finally be able to offer this on the forums as it's one thing we've been consistently asked for since we launched.

We're shifting our experienced customer care team, who previously provided support to the Virgin Media Newsgroups, onto the forums to carry on their work. As part of this change the Virgin Media Newsgroups will no longer be available on the Usenet News service from March 22nd. However, we'll continue to provide our world class Usenet News service as normal for our internet customers.

We're collecting questions and building a FAQ in this thread, so please post here if you've got any queries.

Thanks

When are the support agents going to start working on the forum?
They're going to start on March 22nd, (2010) but will be working on the newsgroups as normal before then.

speedfreak wrote:

Hi, does this mean that the 2nd line support guys that man the support on the newsgroup will be joining the forum and offering help on here then?

Basically yes.

Sadly the lack of official and competent VM support staff working on the Forum has led to an inevitable diminution of the service.

Who would have guessed, after all the hype and promises made when the Forum was launched?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
Superfast
Message 24 of 35 (162 Views)

shanematthews wrote:

Eyghon_VMSF wrote:

Or here is a novel idea VM COULD FIX THE ISSUE!

Well thats if it truely was an "issue", the majority of people don't use the home page for searching, they use a SEARCH ENGINE for searching, this is NOT what the VM page is, it has the feature as a courtesy incase you're already here for other things, it is not intended to be used as an actual homepage for your browser, in all my years of posting yours is the first complaint i've seen about this issue, i'm amazed you even still use the search knowing its been broken for atleast 4 months now, if i knew something was broken i would just stop using it and find a replacement, which is what 99.999% of the people who ever type anything in to that search bar do

How did the VM site even end up as your default homepage to begin with, we should probably look in to fixing that issue

HTF do you know the majority of VM users don't use VM page as their homepage?. So according to you the VM page is NOT "designed" to be a Homepage, are you some kind of idiot?, ANY page can be used as your Homepage, it's PERSONAL CHOICE, maybe you would like to tell me which page I should use as my Homepage?

In all your years of posting and mine I haven't seen this issue but then it only started about SIX MONTHS ago, I've been with VM for 20 years, dunno how long the Google bar has been there but I've never had a problem before.

The search bar on the VM page is provided by or in some way "enhanced" (as it says) by Google, but whoever it is provided by it DOES NOT WORK correctly and should be fixed and it shouldn't take SIX MONTHS, I'm sure if your car broke down you would be there saying, nah it's fine, I'll walk!

You love pulling figures out of air don't you?, "99.999% of the people who ever type anything in to that search bar do", PMSL, here is a FACT, of the two people in this post 50% of them is an Idiot!

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 25 of 35 (160 Views)

ravenstar68 wrote:

Eyghon_VMSF wrote:

A great deal of support on this Forum does come from other users.  BUT Virgin Media do have an active staff presence on here and do relay issues to the relevant departments.

James_W, the Forum Moderators, AND the Forum Team are all employees of Virgin Media, and they do book tech visits, pass on email issues and more.  So the person you spoke to on phone support is feeding you rubbish (Not the first time they've fed people rubbish either) @James_W someone needs to have a word with them.

However, while I like to see things working properly, if there is an alternative way to get what I want, I do use that instead.  So I honestly think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Tim

Correct, VM regularly pick up issues here, same as they did in the old Usenet days, the guy from the CEO\Complaints Office was talking utter crap, as you say not for the first time.

You're welcome to your opinion no matter how wrong you are.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 26 of 35 (157 Views)

shanematthews wrote:

Well thats if it truely was an "issue", the majority of people don't use the home page for searching, they use a SEARCH ENGINE for searching, this is NOT what the VM page is, it has the feature as a courtesy incase you're already here for other things, it is not intended to be used as an actual homepage for your browser, in all my years of posting yours is the first complaint i've seen about this issue, i'm amazed you even still use the search knowing its been broken for atleast 4 months now, if i knew something was broken i would just stop using it and find a replacement, which is what 99.999% of the people who ever type anything in to that search bar do

How did the VM site even end up as your default homepage to begin with, we should probably look in to fixing that issue

A present for you mate.VM Page.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 35 (130 Views)

Our website team published an update that went live this morning which, as expected, has now resolved the issue.

Many thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Wise owl
Message 28 of 35 (125 Views)

Ralph_R wrote:

Our website team published an update that went live this morning which, as expected, has now resolved the issue.

Many thanks

That was quick, this thread was only started in mid November 2016!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
Superuser
Message 29 of 35 (124 Views)

To quote one of my favourite computers

Confirmed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 30 of 35 (101 Views)

Eyghon_VMSF wrote:

You're welcome to your opinion no matter how wrong you are.

The point of an opinion is that it's an opinion as opposed to a cold hard fact.  So there are no right or wrong opinions.  Just differences in opinion between individuals.

What is a fact is that while you've been trying to use the search tool on the Virgin Media Homepage since November to do your searches and have been frustrated by the issue with the generated URL's  I've been using the Omnibar in Chrome and have been searching happily away.

BTW- that the search bar is "Enhanced by Google" is just market speak.  Don't get taken in by it.

Tim