Menu
nigeats
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Turning off individual computers at bedtime

I have looked into this on the Virgin website but cannot find any reference to it.  What I am referring, to so as to be clear, is isolating individual childrens laptops and/or xboxs etc so that each can be denied access to the internet at a pre-defined time ie, before bed at 2000hrs and not turning on again until lets say 9am when they have gone to school,  I do know that the BT Hub can do this but I don't want a BT Hub.

0 Kudos
bluesaffliction
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Turning off individual computers at bedtime

I use a Mac and it has built in Parental controls that do this job very well.   

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have answered this before in three ways.

1.  Here is an article on MAC filtering on your Superhub. This one relates to a SH2. There is a different article for SH1.  This looks fiendishly complicated for an amateur.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

2.  Look at K9 software - free edition which is reported as being effective and uncrackable by a tech genius child (as so many are today). Probably the easiest.

3.  Exercise parental authority. Your home, your rules.  Who pays the bills for this stuff and for their access to the net.  Looking for a tech solution to an issue of human interaction is doomed to failure. And certainly destined to  provoke even more family arguments.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
nigeats
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have managed to get into the hub settings and allocated the desired laptops/xbox's etc.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as planned.  When choosing the desired laptop/xbox It seems to deny the selected laptop/xbox from connecting to the internet all the time and not for the selected period in the 24 hour day.  This item cannot be used until the hub is entered again to switch it off. 

It really is not particularly user friendly and I can think of other hubs from other established internet service providers whereby it is very simple and very user friendly and it (theirs) works.  This needs addressing and simplifying.  Even inputting the times is back to front and confusing.  

0 Kudos
ilike2burnthing
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Make sure the 'all day' box isn't ticked.

To my knowledge to go over midnight you'd have to make two rules, for example 20:30-00:00 and then 00:00-08:30.
0 Kudos
nigeats
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Granted.  Understood about "Human interaction" especially with a child especially your own child, but......If British Telecom (BT) can provide this SIMPLE fix and it is so, so easy on their hub, then why can VIRGIN MEDIA not be able to do this.  As you state "This looks fiendishly complicated for an amateur".  I have tried it numerous times but the action does not work in as much that it doesn't turn off at the required time or stays switched off when it is time to come on and this applies to all machines (laptops, computers, phones etc, etc) that have been excluded from the selection of what items like laptops etc that I want switching off at a pre-defined time.  The only fix around it is to go back into hub settings and either delete it or turn it off therefore leaving internet to be accessed at anytime by any computer.  I pay good money for this hub, internet thingy and to be told that control is down to "human interaction" is not what I pay for that comes down to my own responsibility.....

0 Kudos