Menu
vivekshk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious Calls to help fix Router error

Hi

I received a call from some 'Allan' on my mobile phone from an undisclosed number. The guy said he is calling from Virgin Media and that they have been receiving messages saying  that my router is having problem. On my asking about the nature of problem, he said it was related to the security of the router and if not fixed, someone might hack into my PC. I asked him to send me an email with the error messages that they are getting. He said that I must have received some email or sms from Virgin already, which obviously I hadn't. He then said that I will receive one soon. He asked me to check my router so he can start fixing the issue. I told him that I am at office and he may call me on Saturday when I am at home.

Have other members also received such calls in the past ? Are such calls genuine ? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Regards.

Vivek. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Suspicious Calls to help fix Router error

I have not received such calls myself but I would say that if you haven't been in touch with VM to report a problem then it is most likely a scammer hoping to entice you into giving him access to your computer.  It will be interesting to see if he rings again.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

vivekshk wrote:

Hi

I received a call from some 'Allan' on my mobile phone from an undisclosed number.

That's fake alert #1. Vm , for all their faults, do not call from undisclosed numbers

The guy said he is calling from Virgin Media and that they have been receiving messages saying  that my router is having problem.

fake alert #2 - messages from who, how ???

On my asking about the nature of problem, he said it was related to the security of the router and if not fixed, someone might hack into my PC.

& how could he possibly know that 

fake alert#3  

the only person wanting to hack into your computer is the guy you were talking to 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Vivek

Welcome to our forum, I have just checked your account to be sure and the call did not come from us. It certainly does sound like a scam so please be careful. 

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have not received such calls myself but I would say that if you haven't been in touch with VM to report a problem then it is most likely a scammer hoping to entice you into giving him access to your computer.  It will be interesting to see if he rings again.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

vivekshk wrote:

Hi

I received a call from some 'Allan' on my mobile phone from an undisclosed number.

That's fake alert #1. Vm , for all their faults, do not call from undisclosed numbers

The guy said he is calling from Virgin Media and that they have been receiving messages saying  that my router is having problem.

fake alert #2 - messages from who, how ???

On my asking about the nature of problem, he said it was related to the security of the router and if not fixed, someone might hack into my PC.

& how could he possibly know that 

fake alert#3  

the only person wanting to hack into your computer is the guy you were talking to 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Vivek

Welcome to our forum, I have just checked your account to be sure and the call did not come from us. It certainly does sound like a scam so please be careful. 

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
vivekshk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave. That was helpful.

0 Kudos
vivekshk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks cybmole. Agree with you 100%. 

0 Kudos
vivekshk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming Nicola. I will be careful.

Fishbonealice
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Just had a call from 'Allan' too, saying he's from Virgin, asking me to turn on the computer connected to router so they could check for faults. Perhaps Virgin should let customers know about this obvious scam as it certainly could easily fool someone.

Tudor
Well-informed
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I just string them along. When they ask you to do something, don't do it, but them them you have. When they ask for email, passwords etc, give them bad ones that you make up. It sure makes them angry and costs them time and money and also stops them calling other poor people while you are on the phone to them.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Stumpy2
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ahh .. I've just had this.  I've only been a Virgin customer for a matter of weeks, so didn't know how Virgin operated, but generally I'm fairly suspicious and once the guy with a very thick foreign accent kept asking me stupid questions like "is the red light on your router blinking" (there is no red light ...), didn't know what router I had and then, when I quizzed him further, didn't know my name or address, I guessed something was up.

He did have various answers to my doubts - "different department so don't have as much account access ..", "the router security is scrambled and sending out the wrong data".  Personally I'm rather concerned that within weeks of my getting a Virgin account for the first time, I receive my first (non-PPI/car accident that wasn't my fault) scam attempt.  I'd had a phone for decades before now first with BT then with Sky and never had anything like this.

Quite frankly I can imagine a lot of people actually doing what he asked - he was quite obviously trying to get me to open up a page on my browser, at which point I just told him I didn't believe him and that I was hanging up.

If Virgin would like to try and track it back, there were two phone calls (first one wasnt very clear so he rang back) - second came through today at 11.29am.

0 Kudos