Menu
Daisyh
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Strange call

I've had a call today supposedly from BT in London telling me that my internet will be ceased in 2 weeks due to it being hacked. They want me to log on to my PC so they can resolve the problem. When I said I was with Virgin they said it all comes through them. I hung up but they called back straight away and were quite aggressive. I'm thinking this is a scam but it's concerned me. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I right to ignore them?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange call

Yes it's a scam. They want you to log onto your PC and download a piece of software that will allow them direct access to your computer to steal any private info you might have.  It could be identity theft or trying to raid your bank or maybe an attempt to encrypt all your data and then demand a ransom to provide an un-encryption code.  Don't fall for it.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Daisyh
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks
0 Kudos
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I had a call from "BT" saying my internet connection would be terminated.  I said I was with VM and couple of days latter get another call with a very similar voice that they were from "VM" and if I didn't let them my "BT er sorry VM" line would be terminated.

Do not let them near your PC, they can lock you out then charge you to unlock it or worse.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

tweetiepooh wrote:

I had a call from "BT" saying my internet connection would be terminated.  I said I was with VM and couple of days latter get another call with a very similar voice that they were from "VM" and if I didn't let them my "BT er sorry VM" line would be terminated.

Do not let them near your PC, they can lock you out then charge you to unlock it or worse.

See i'm sad i never get these phone calls, would be nice to drop them in a random VM and see what it is they actually do, would be even more funny to drop them on a linux desktop and watch all their tools and malware just not work at all Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos