Menu
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Should I be concerned ?

I have received the following email this evening on an account linked to Ebay, I haven't used it for some time. There is an attachment with the the data, which I haven't attempted to open. Should I ignore, take a look at the attachment ?

"I am bothering you for a very urgent occasion. Allhough you don't know me, but I have considerable ammount of personal info about you. The thing is that, most probably by mistake, the data of your account has been emailed to me. For example, your address is: My correct address I am a law-abiding citizen, so I decided to prevent may have been hacked. I pinned the file - My Name.dot that was sent to me, that you could learn what data has become reachable for deceivers. Document password is - 5653 I look forward to hearing from you, Lecia Daniello "

0 Kudos
SL46
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should I be concerned ?

I've had the exact same email but from a different sender. As have other people on here.
I received it via a .net account that's i haven't used for ages either. Seems to be something that a number of people have had. So you do right to delete it.
0 Kudos
LUcyM2
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same for me. I've blocked the sender

0 Kudos
Indianestor
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Had one this evening too, deleted it now, wasn't sure how they got that email or my address but will be changing my eBay password now just in case, thank you
0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I passed this to a trusted friend to work out what it was all about, here follows his email reply.

"It has a Microsoft document template, you knew that bit.
Opening it (I'm doing that in a very protected environment, don't you try!) there's a blank space which says
This document is protected!
Open the document in Microsoft Office.
Previewing offline is not available for protected documents.
Which is intended to get you to open it while online, on the pretence there's some message in there for you.
If you still open it without actually being online, it displays "No internet access. Turn off any firewall or anti-virus software and try again."
You have to be certifiably insane to disable firewall and antivirus and open it again, but if you do it will steal your stored browser username/password combinations and post them home. There is no actual message in there."

So as we ALL should know delete and ignore, don't open it under any circumstances.........................panic over.
0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My friend reckons it is possibly related to my Ebay account, I am wondering if it could also be related to the combination Virgin email and Ebay ?

0 Kudos
ctaviaink
Settling in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think you should open it as Ebay will not send you any personal data in this way. What is more, the address of email writer is not ebay official address, I think. This can be a trap.

0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't thinking it was FROM Ebay, just that either my Virgin or Ebay accounts could have been vulnerable, the information supplied by this person is available via Ebay to any sellers or buyers.

0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update...

Got an email today purporting to be from Virgin telling me they can't process my bill and that my services are due to be cut. There is a link I should click to upgrade my details. All my Virgin accounts are up to date, I didn't click the link. The email address has only ever been used on Ebay as far as I can remember, it is a concern.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is scam, do not reply or click on any links....there's more details about this is the latest announcement from our Security team

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-03-04-2017/td-p/3386110

Hope this helps.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos