Menu
ddignam
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sending a high number of spam emails

I've finally got to the bottom of a letter I was sent from the Internet Security Team, which said I had been identified as sending a high number of spam emails.

I run my own email server, and it has distribution lists, one of those lists was used by a member of the list to send the spam. I've disabled the list, it was defunct anyway, so issue solved. I'll send the gentleman an email telling him he probably has a virus.

Identifying the issue took all of 2 minutes once I had the necessary information, time the spam was sent. 

Getting this information took 2 hours on the phone, with very patient call center staff. I eventually ended up with a gentleman who told me the details of what caused the letter to be sent.

Anyway, if anybody from the 'Internet Security' in Cardiff reads this, could you please include the information that triggers the snail mail, 1097 emails sent at 05:52 on dd/mm it would save a lot on anguish (is one of my computers infected ....).

Thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending a high number of spam emails

They don't read these forums.

Surprisingly yours seems genuine as other letters have been factually incorrect
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
geebrooks9
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Received one of these very concerning letters yesterday. Stating "Your financial transactions and personal details could be at risk."  And saying  my Virgin Media internet connection had been sending a high number of spam emails???  Supposedly from Virgin Email, I don't know if it's a spam email or not?  Who do I contact?  Please help.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

That certainly appears to be one of ours, given the headline you quote.

Pop over to our Security Hub and then the section Received a letter from Virgin Media Internet Security?

You'll be able to check if the content matches up to be sure.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

geebrooks9
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos