Menu
Community elder
Message 11 of 16 (392 Views)

Re: Scam warning

[ Edited ]

the scammers just work through all possible numbers

unless... it is VMs stupid outsourced outbound sales.

in the 83 comments linked to below, all are saying Virgin, and some say

Its Virgin promotions/upgrade call this Virgin number 08001831150 and the promotions number will be blocked

staff will get around to read the thread eventually, and may 'fess up to it being a virgin number, or a forum search may work

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/08001836408

Average rate:
Dangerous
Number of searches:
Number of comments:
Last checked:
29/04/2017

forum & comments search is inconclusive, Virgin do employ idiots to make outbound calls on 0800 numbers.  but so do fraudsters

"I did not answer as suspected a sales call but found no warnings from this website so called back & found it was a Virgin Media recorded message. They were probably doing one of their "customer reviews" which ends with trying to upgrade your service! "

or could be Virgin have a data leak but they will not admit to that.

you see who called me from... comments like this

This lot knew my number ,my name ,that I was due an upgrade and that I'm a virgin media customer.Rudely hung up on me when I said I wasn't interested in upgrading.I called Virgin media who said it's not them however they couldn't answer how they got my details to start with.Not a happy camper

Virgin have previously said, here,  they cannot provide a list of numbers used by outbound sales

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=0800+1831150

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 12 of 16 (380 Views)

Totally agree, TPS made not one iota of difference to the amount of calls I receive. Useless.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 13 of 16 (293 Views)

Just been called again by the router scam team. I really hope that Virgin Media are going to do something about this!

The number that called me was 072258658.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 16 (153 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just got off the phone after taking an 'unavailable' caller. I only answered because my daughter in law is about to give birth in the UAE and I am no longer able to just ignore calls identified as 'unavailable out of area' .

Basically it was a call centre computer scam who said my computer was infected. He instructed me on running the event viewer (Windowskey + R then eventvwr run, double click event viewer,custom views, administrative events, to show all the scary looking yellow and red warnings!) If I didn't know all our computers have these warning events I would probably have been worried. Certainly easy to see how people can be taken in if they have, say, a subscription to an antivirus that regularly updates and checks their system and they then get a warning call that says the programme has picked up a problem that needs them to access the computer before it gets damaged by malware.

He then tried to access my computer by trying to get me to type removed in the run box. I pretended the internet connection was down etc. and he tried to get me to reset the router and all sorts. Eventually after 20 minutes he asked if I was wasting HIS time! Cheeky ***. His parting words were that my laptop would now be disconnected from the network and that all the computers in my house would be infected and that I would have a large phone bill for speaking to him on an overseas call. (I will be checking my phone bill with interest and woe betide VM if his threat is true!).

I did wonder if he got my number from a call list in one of the Virgin centres as I have used the customer helpline a few times this year. His accent was certainly Asian. It is a pity VM can't give us an option of rejecting calls from certain parts of the world but this can never happen as we'd then be unable to access any of the centres they, and many organisations, use to provide cheap customer services.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 16 (138 Views)

ynysygwas wrote:

Eventually after 20 minutes he asked if I was wasting HIS time! Cheeky ***. His parting words were that my laptop would now be disconnected from the network and that all the computers in my house would be infected and that I would have a large phone bill for speaking to him on an overseas call.

The burn is strong with this one Smiley Wink

Don't worry, you can't get a phone bill for incoming overseas call (unless it was proper operator collect call and you've clearly consented to accept at the call start).

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 16 of 16 (114 Views)

Some months ago I had a problem with my broadband which was sorted by Virgin over the phone. Two days later I had a scammer phoned me purporting to be from Virgin talking about the problem I had been experiencing. Realising it was a scam I phoned Virgin to complain that my details had been passed out to a 3rd party.  I was assured that security was very tight and it was not possible.  I persisted and insisted that a note was entered on my records about my complaint and I was told that this had been done.

A few days ago I spoke to Virgin about an issue I had and various tests and adjustments were made remotely (if this is possible) to my router.  Lo and Behold 2 days later and ongoing I am inundated with scammers telling me that there is a problem with my router.  Go figure!

I again complained to Virgin and was told it was impossible for data to be passed to a 3rd party.  When I insisted that it needed to be taken more seriously I was passed to a senior person who admitted " we may have some black holes and no ship is watertight" or some such words.  His only advise was to gt the phone number of the scammers and they could put a block on it.  Fat lot of good that will do!

Perhaps if others have had this experience they should report it too and perhaps Virgin will take it seriously.

I am sure we all know where the call centre is based and the ethnicity of the scammers.

0 Kudos