Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16 (1,323 Views)

Scam warning

[ Edited ]

Not a question, just a warning. I have had literally dozens of calls from 'Virgin' in the last few days asking me to check my router by connecting my computer so they can test it remotely.  It is such an obvious attempt to hack my computer that perhaps one would think no one would fall for it  (the caller can barely speak English and asked if I was Mr Susan Blah!). But I'm sure someone could be taken in. Even when I say to him that I know he's attempting to scam me the calls continue (so much so I turn the phone off during the day for peace).  Anyway be vigilant and perhaps Virgin could warn its customers to take care.

Accepted Solutions
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16 (2,491 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Fishbonealice
‎29-04-2017 12:27

Re: Scam warning

Shouldn't virgin be able to block these?  When I tried to do 1471 it said it couldn't give me a number as it was coming from an exchange that didn't give numbers .. I'd happily block all phone calls that did the same ...

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Tuning in
Message 2 of 16 (1,303 Views)

I've just had the same .. thick accent, virtually impossible to understand .. they were very persistent even when I asked if they were trying to scam me and I told them I didn't believe them - I got annoyed and hung up.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Suspicious-Calls-to-help-fix-Router-error/td-p...

Tuning in
Message 3 of 16 (1,295 Views)

Their persistence is incredible. I had to plug the phone in today as I'm waiting on a call. They have rung six times this morning already. Every time I answer I tell them I know they are trying to con me yet still they try. To one of the callers I asked (pointlessly I know) aren't you ashamed of what you're doing? Do you sleep at night?  He hung up.  Thought that was the end of it. Ten minutes later he rang again...

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 16 (1,280 Views)

[ Edited ]

also received a call from a lady wanting to check router and something about anti virus and a charge of £10

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 5 of 16 (1,274 Views)

These calls do stop eventually.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16 (2,492 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Fishbonealice
‎29-04-2017 12:27

Shouldn't virgin be able to block these?  When I tried to do 1471 it said it couldn't give me a number as it was coming from an exchange that didn't give numbers .. I'd happily block all phone calls that did the same ...

Superuser
Message 7 of 16 (1,264 Views)

bit tricky to block since they would be more than likely spoofing their phone number, since dont think provider can block phone numbers, there are devices you can buy such as http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/nuisance-calls/article/nuisance-calls-call-blocker-reviews/nuisance-c... also not much TPS can do since they would be 99% from outside the UK.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 8 of 16 (1,253 Views)

[ Edited ]

legally , Virgin cannot block . sad, silly, but that's the law - 

TPS is useless

BT call guardian can though. get a BT8500 or similar. we have caller withheld -> answer machine automatically. "numbers" like 000000 are on our blocked list., phones go to silent from midnight to 7am unless you are on our VIP list... scammers from " Microsoft", "BT " never get to speak to us

Joining in
Message 9 of 16 (1,245 Views)

number that came up was

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16 (1,241 Views)

cybmole wrote:

legally , Virgin cannot block . sad, silly, but that's the law - 

TPS is useless

BT call guardian can though. get a BT8500 or similar. we have caller withheld -> answer machine automatically. "numbers" like 000000 are on our blocked list., phones go to silent from midnight to 7am unless you are on our VIP list... scammers from " Microsoft", "BT " never get to speak to us

Oh cool .. that sounds interesting.  If I have many more problems I'll look into that.  Although I'm still concerned that, within weeks of becoming a Virgin customer, I'm getting calls like this, when I never had them before. 

I'm on a special offer at the moment and still considering whether or not to stay with Virgin.

0 Kudos